Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] WTOP / WTWP call change

Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] WTOP / WTWP call change

> 1500/107.7 is also the front-runner for Washington Senators baseball
> for 2006 (it had been on sister stations WFED 1050 and WWZZ
> 104.1/WWVZ 103.9 in 2005), so Sens fans - if there really are such
> things - will be able to hear the games across much of the east coast
> next season, which may be more than we poor Red Sox fans get. (The
> team hasn't yet renewed its deal with WTIC, and its flagship, WEEI
> 850, doesn't go west.)

You mean the Washington NATIONALS, no?  Though I think WTOP-1500 used to be
the Washington Senators flagship before they became the Texas Rangers in
1971 (if not the flagship of the Senators team that became the Minnesota
Twins in 1961)  I still miss the Montreal Expos, though they never could
develop a rivalry with the Blue Jays.

Speaking of Senators, there is a Senate in Canada; hence the name of
Ottawa's NHL team.  However, none of the seats in the Canadian Senate will
be up for grabs in the election on Jan. 23.  Senators are not elected, but
appointed by the Prime Minister and can hold office for life.  There are
even a few who were appointed by PM John Diefenbaker back in the 1950s who
are still sitting in the Senate.

73

Mike Brooker
Toronto, ON