Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] DXing Practices and Ethics Question

Doug,

I think the technique you describe is another "arrow in the quiver" that
modern DX'ers can and should utilize. I've used the technique
many times to great effect myself.

Some of us partner up on IRC chat channel #mwdx at night. It's
amazing how easy it is to ID a station, if someone who is local
to the station can tell you what the station is playing or
saying at an exact moment. Is that cheating? I certainly
don't think so.

Ultimately, DXing is about your individual standards. For instance,
I don't pursue QSL's very often...instead I like to record MP3 files
and "link" them to my Excel based logbook.

If I want to "prove" to someone that I actually heard a given
station, I just click on the logbook and the MP3 file
plays. For me, that is my QSL.

It would be easy to "fake" a reception using streaming audio,
even in my case. Just record the stream, add some noise,
and presto--instant logging. But I'd always know that it
was fake--and really, who would you impress?

In case you haven't noticed, DXing isn't exactly a
"chick magnet". :) My wife tolerates it....but even
I think it's a strange hobby sometimes.

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film
100 Centerview Drive Suite 111