Re: [IRCA] Receivers and DXing in the future

Re: [IRCA] Receivers and DXing in the future

I totally agree, if you want used equiptment and portables to do DXing
with. Lots of stuff is available. But gone are the days that you go down
to your local radio store and buy that HQ 180 or Drake SPR4, or even the
Kenwood R 1000, brand new off the shelf for a few hundred bucks. There
is "slim-pickings" for under a grand in new top notch communications
gear today. That is what I was getting at.  Infact that is what Paul and
Palstar mentioned to me. That is why they are coming out with a new rig
for 2006 for under a grand with even a noise blanker. You can DX with
about anything. Infact I have. Military surplus rigs I had several and
most were very good. The EH Scott RBO 2 I had, I added a Q Multiplier
and between the L/C filters and that, I heard much of the Pacific & Asia
on MW in the 60s/70s/into the 80s. Then the Hammarlund SP-600 did well
for me until 1992. My problem now, I live a few feet from an electric
fence, so I need a noise blanker. So the RBO 2 or SP 600 would not do
well now.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin