Re: [IRCA] A new list...

On Saturday 26 November 2005 20:33, saulamdx wrote:
> The new list is a much-welcomed tool that stands to
> help DXers actually DO something about IBOC. There's
> also no point in subjecting Dxers who do not want to
> talk about IBOC to a discussion about IBOC (and the
> broadcast industry in general). This new list is where
> that conversation is happening, where the real
> hard-core are hanging out.

As I see it, this is not a strength, but a weakness.  This is exactly the
problem with creating a new list with a narrower focus - it only attracts
the hard core who are already knowledgable about the topic.  The advantage
of a wide-ranging list with a large cross-section of participants, as the
NRC AM list once was, is cross-fertilization.  People who initially have
no knowledge about a topic, and hence no interest in it, may have their
interest piqued and get drawn in.  They eventually bring new perspectives,
and make contributions that enrich the discussion.  This isn't likely to
happen if the topic is relegated to a separate list.

Since it's a done deal, I'll refrain from any further remarks on this
topic, and let the chips fall where they may.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON