Re: [IRCA] A new list...

What Scott has done is set up a list for DXers
expressly dedicated to broadcast industry topics such
as IBOC which affect our hobby.

This new list does NOT diminish the relevance of IBOC
to DXers. IBOC threatens to kill or at best seriously
hinder AM and FM DXing, and DXers should indeed follow
what's happening and participate in the debate. What
the new list does is establish a place for DXers to
discuss these kinds of issues, where the focus is ONLY
on these issues.

It means I can direct all e-mail from that list to a
specific folder in my e-mail, or to a specific Yahoo
of Gmail address, so that I can easily archive
contributions I want to save.

It also streamlines my hobby-related e-mail, so that
when I am on a DXpedition and only have dial-up access
(people on DXpeditions can also access e-mail on
PDAs), I can quickly check so see if anyone is getting
any DX, and very quickly see only those messages
pertaining to actual on-the-set DX.

The new list is a much-welcomed tool that stands to
help DXers actually DO something about IBOC. There's
also no point in subjecting Dxers who do not want to
talk about IBOC to a discussion about IBOC (and the
broadcast industry in general). This new list is where
that conversation is happening, where the real
hard-core are hanging out.

I must admit I like the decision to keep things civil.
Better to win than to get angry. I would fully support
the moderators of the IRCA, NRC and WTFDA AM lists in
steering any *discussion* about IBOC and the industry
to the new list (though I would expect to see actual
DX reports mentioning the presence or lack of IBOC on
the DX lists, minus any opinionating or resulting
discussion). If anything, the creation of this new
lists makes it easier to remain a member of the
regular DX lists, because ... well... for all these
reasons. (It would seem to me quite acceptable to
notify the DX lists from time to time about this (new)
list. That could be done, say, by reporting that WOWO
is using IBOC at night, when it shoulodn't be, and for
more info come join the discussion at the (new) list.

Scott has upped the sophistication ante of DXer
response to IBOC, IMO.

Saul Chernos