Re: [IRCA] Loop antenna question

Beta testing would be great. Right now what I am actually looing for is a smaller loop - the 30 inch hula hoop that I have and am working with. I need some input on the number of turns of wire - size of the wire - etc.
From the loop I want to feed the loop directly to the shack with RG8-X. Any
tuning cap would need to be inside. I wasn't looking for an amplified loop but that would be a big plus.

What I have now is the Hula Hoop wound with 8 conductor flat ribbon cable closely spaced up 1/4 of the way up one side of the loop, then wide spaced (the width of the cable spaced between each turn) across the top of the loop, and then closely spaced the last quarter of the loop. The conductors in the cable are reversed so that on the one end (cable end 1 for example) wire number is not terminated. On cable end 2 wire number 8 is not terminated. Then cable number one the number 2 wire in the cable goes to wire 7 in cable number two. Wire 3 in cable end one goes to wire number 6 in cable number 2, etc., each one in series with the other. In the end the actual length of the loop is actually 8 times the length of the cable that was to make it. One of the free wire2 goes to the center conductor on a piece of RG8-X that feeds my receiver, the other free wire from the loop goes to ground.

Inside the shack I am able to receive stations 30 to 40 miles away on my IC-7410 with no pre-amp inserted and getting an S8 reading on the strongest one. Just holding the loop and turning it by hand does not produce a noticeable null. I am suspecting a few things need to be done. I may need to add capacitance to the end of the loop to tune it more (this has to be done in the shack at the end of the feed line) and I may need more or less windings on the actual loop. Not sure at all why am not getting any nulls.

Larry K8YYY

For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 2 Cor. 3:17

---
https://www.avg.com