Re: [IRCA] Cuban MW stations

> There may be some broadcasts from a common installation near Havana,
but
> DFing from down here finds stations, from low to high power,
> broadcasting from one end of the island to the other.
>
> W. Curt Deegan

> >I have heard rumors from over the years, that Fidel has a big antenna
farm
> >south of Havana, and everything we hear up here in the U.S. comes
from
> >there, even the small wattage stations. That's my take on the topic.
Since I
> >have only been to Cuba one time in my life and that was for only 3
months, I
> >can't give any better answer. That idea came from reading Wayne Green
of 73
> >magazine back in the 70's.
> >

> [snip]
>
> >Willis, WB5KHD
> >Old Fort, TN

I did a bandscan from Ocho Rios JAM a few years ago with
a handheld DX375 which was able to give quite sharp
nulls. During the day there were a few JAM signals (700 720),
one from BAH (1540) and everything else IDed was from CUB.
Also, trace of presumed Marti-1180 way u/Rebelde.

The nulls were from the far northwest over to the NE for known
signals such as AFRTS Gitmo 1340. There is no doubt that
each little town has a local radio signal. I could hear such as
Amancio on 1450 which is the type of station unheard
elsewhere. My scan was published in the major bulletins
at that time.

Cuba is 800 miles long and if all the stations were in one
area then most of the island would lack coverage of any useful sort.

I am well aware of the old W2NSD "Never Say Die" who refused
to change his call to a _1_ type call when 73 moved up to
Peterborough NH (well before portability which now allows
me to keep my old K2 call, 50 years old, while living in the 4
call area.)

I would not doubt that ole Wayne Green would have an interesting
theory about Cuban broadcasting, but would have to give
it the Art Bell test. Wayne had a reputation for controversial
theories. One of my big regrets in life was not getting the
lifetime subscription to 73 when it cost $37 (yes...)

In Key West it is easy to hear Sagua la Grande on 1540 and
they have a unique call ID. I'd have to double check it against
my memory but think it is CMES, not too bad to listen to either.
It was all locally originated pgms, quite a few Cuban stations
have their own pgms but they generally are not the ones
hrd at any great distance. When that useless Plant City FL on 910
was silent a couple years ago I could easily hear Metropolitana
from Habana during the day on 910 and they were really enjoyable
music.

The big Habana antenna farm probably is the old Soviet intercept
station that was abandoned when they stopped supporting
the Cuban economy some years ago. Just like some Hams to
tell the other equally un-informed that it is a BC TX plant....

What Cubans make it to TN during the day?

73 Bob