Re: [IRCA] THE UNMENTIONABLE

> (1) There was an unresolved conflict between David's assertions on
> the usable range of IBOC and Craig's in-the-field results.

It really was resolved.  His definition of "useable signal" was based on
extensive research of the ratings books and ended up at about 10mv/m.  My
definition was much looser, and a subjective "where I can listen
comfortably".  Maybe 2-3mv/m.  That's why there is a difference in the
apparent radius of the analog vs. digital coverage.  I suspect most DXers
would be OK with my definition, while the Average Joe would fit David's.

> we didn't get input from Tom Ray of WOR but I guess he's only on the
> NRC list.

Me too.  I was sorta hoping that one of the 50kw Big Guns would have some
digital only testing sometime.  This would hopefully give a full 50kw of
IBOC right on the assigned frequency.  I'd love to see how far it could be
heard.

We really don't know how far an IBOC signal can be decoded under typical
adverse skywave conditions.  When I think of the difficulty in hearing a 1kw
NYC area station, I'm not really surprised that the IBOC from WOR won't
decode.

I am simply trying to clean up the loose ends of the thread, and not
continue it to the next decade..  <wan grin>

Craig Healy
Providence, RI