Re: [IRCA] Informal "poll"

I was a casual BCB DXer from 1961 (age 8) to 1966 (age 13) with a pocket transistor, but really became hooked from 1967-69 as a teenager living in Iwakuni, Japan. There were lots of interesting stations that no longer exist (AFVN-Armed Forces Vietnam Network, KSBK (?) in Okinawa, and my local 1580-FEN (Far East Network, in Iwakuni). In 1971 I joined the Navy, and chased MW-DX on portables like the Sony TR-6400 around the world (Mayport, FL, Pearl Harbor, HI and Yokosuka, Japan).

>From 1982-2007 I was an amateur radio CW-QRP fanatic, working 144 countries with the 2 watt Heathkit HW-8 and 50' tower. In 2007 it seemed to me that the amateur radio QRP concept (i.e. that a skilled operator can work wonders with basic equipment) could be successfully applied to the MW-DXing hobby-- which turned out to be the concept that ultimately kicked off the Ultralight radio boom.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)