Re: [IRCA] Possible Japan LF beacons to listen for

Re: [IRCA] Possible Japan LF beacons to listen for

I hear a couple of Japan-area beacons more or less regularly, if propagation
is favoring that direction, during the fall-winter season, very rarely
during the summer. But remember that they're running at most 1kW or less,
and at best are not in the least strong, at least at my inland location.
It's unlikely you'll hear them in AM mode; you'll need CW mode and the
narrowest filter you can select, to try to maximize the effective
sensitivity of the radio. I always use very narrow outboard audio filters,
in addition to the 250 Hz IF filter in the radio. My present homebrew opamp
audio filter has 8 Hz bandwidth and really digs down into the noise for the
faint beacons.
Good luck! As with MW TP signals, the closer you are to the Pacific Ocean,
the better your chances of hearing a TP LF beacon.
Steve

All Japanese beacons have a several second or longer dash after the CW
ident--quite distinctive as only North American Canadian beacons use a dash
(called "DAID"--dash after ident). All have a nominal +/- 1020 Hz modulation
from the unmodulated carrier. (French beacons that I also hear, from places
like Polynesia, also use a DAID, sometimes 30 seconds or more, but you won't
be hearing them at this time of year, generally--they're summer beacons.)

209 MQ,  Miyako. I hear this quite often.
343 ML, Minami Tori Shima (an island quite a distance from Japan proper). I
hear this one the most of all.
360 OX, Iwo Jima. I've heard this frequently for the past month or so.
Those are the most-frequently heard ones here. Others I've heard very
infrequently include 360 KC, 373 PQ, 390 HKN, and the new one heard this
morning 398 ON.
For practice, I'd try for 353 LLD, Hawaii. That's the strongest Pacific
beacon heard in North America, and the closest. If you can't hear that, then
it's doubtful you'll hear any of the Japanese-area beacons, which are much
weaker in comparison. It's been heard once or twice from as far south and
east as New Mexico and Colorado, and once under very unusual conditions in
Illinois.