Wheat Ridge, CO

 T storm QRNÂ have been a bother
 here in IL with the now near record warmth.
 Re: 882 I get the same two carriers, but never
 audio past KHAC USB slop and
 WLS slop.
 Likely AUS/NZ mix. Perhaps you can do better, being further
 from
 both KHAC and WLS.

 Re: 1098 hopefully you can get it better soon,
 and tell that the man is
 speaking an
 island-type lang. I think this usually their s/off.

 Re: 828Â 3GI gets out for 10
 kW. I've had carriers for years. Sometimes
 WCCO has faded down by then. Last season I
 managed some audio, same as
 podcast. Another
 possibility for me is at month's end or into early
 Oct
 where in good cx ABC stns. hang around
 'til 1200 UTC and you can make out
 their
 trumpet fanfare into ABC nx.

 I wonder what 693 is? So far no audio and here
 it is bothered by the
 tragedy of WSCR
 IBOC.

 Re: antenna
 experiments. The Double Flag is a good antenna for
 sunrise
 DXing for DU's with good low
 angle pickup and 7 dB more signal (given the
 same footprint) than the Double KAZ. However,
 the DFlag seems to have in
 general 5 to 10
 dB worse back null and while that doesn't harm me much
 at
 sunrise, it is quite harmful to my DX any
 other time. So it is back to a
 DKAZ for my
 west antenna and once I have it working like before, I will
 add
 a second one staggered by about 30 feet
 south and 80 feet east and array
 them.
 Modelling shows this is promising. I haven't any more
 room to array
 them directly inline.

 73 KAZ Barrington IL

 On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:27
 PM, Tim Tromp <kilokat7@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

 > Heavy t-storms
 crackling across the band this morning spoiled what could
 > have otherwise been decent DU conditions
 (decent for Michigan). Unattended
 > SDR
 recordings this morning caught the following:

 612, with threshold audio, man speaking, and music heard
 starting at 1128
 > UTC and ending at 1131
 UTC and back into person speaking. Not really
 > enough signal to understand any speech or
 ID the song played in between the

 talk.

 > 693, a nice solid carrier at 1126 UTC and
 lasting for a few minutes but not
 > good
 enough for audio.

 > 738, threshold audio
 at 1125 UTC but buried by 740 WRPQ splatter, which was
 > worse than usual here this morning.

 828.002 UNID, 1136 UTC, man speaking, possibly an interview
 with another
 > person (YL maybe?),
 unfortunately nothing intelligible due to WCPT/WBAP
 > splatter and strong t-storm noise
 that's been plaguing me the last several
 > mornings. First time ever hearing any
 audio on 828, usually a just a weak

 carrier at best, even during good DU cx here. Honestly
 it's a channel that
 > I usually
 don't even consider checking, but the propagation was
 different
 > this morning.

 882 SAH, a couple of strong solid carriers at near equal
 strength beginning
 > at 1123 UTC and
 separated by 1 Hz, but neither good enough for audio.

 1098 presumed V7AB, faint music first noted at 1123 UTC and
 again with a
 > peak at 1128 UTC with song
 ending and then man speaking, but much splatter
 > from local 1090 WKBZ to contend with this
 morning and t-storm crackle.

 > Weaker DU carriers
 also noted peaking between 1116-1130 UTC on 549, 558,
 > 576, 585, 594, 603, 621, 693, 702, 729,
 747, 756, & 1035.

 > 73,
 > Tim Tromp
 > West Michigan
 > Perseus
 SDR + southwest phased BOGs
 > Local
 sunrise: 1131 UTC

 > original contributors and do not
 necessarily reflect the opinion of the

 > For more information:
 http://www.ircaonline.org

 and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its
 editors, publishing staff, or officers

--- End Message ---