[IRCA] CHAT 1270 update

I had a reply back from the CE at CHAT in response to a report on their
FM signal, and he noted that they are currently in their testing phase,
and are planning the official launch in the new year.  Given that
they'll be allowed 3 months of simulcasting after that, that should mean
they'll be on AM until  April or so.    One aside on CHAT - when CJCY
moved to FM a few years ago, CHAT was relocated to the former CJCY
towers, and the old CHAT site was decommissioned.  It was just off the
Trans-Canada highway, and is currently the subject of a  development
application for industrial and residential lots.

It's interesting to note that Alberta's mid-sized cities (Red Deer,
Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Grande Prairie, & Fort McMurray) will now all
be AM-free.  I'm excluding St.Albert, even though it's AM also went to
FM, as they're really part of the Edmonton market.  ( Sorry Mike, I
guess Peace River doesn't quite fit the category, so according to my
theory you're stuck with CKYL for a while!)  Those remaining on AM seem
to fall into 2 categories, either located in the major markets of
Calgary and Edmonton where they're a part of a group of co-owned
stations, or in smaller centres serving largely rural populations.

73,

Nigel Pimblett
Dunmore, Alberta