[IRCA] North Korean AM FM restructuring

More news from the North Korean radio restructuring, this on AM and FM.

1) The Pyongyang FM network is now defunct. Both the Kaesong and Haeju affiliates in the Seoul area had been off prior to this.

2) Existing Pyongyang FM signals have been added to the newly-expanded Pyongyang Bangsong network //657, which was previously NOT an FM broadcaster.

3) On FM in the Seoul metro area, Pyongyang Bangsong is now on 92.5 (north suburbs, former Pyongyang FM), 92.8, 93.6, and 103.7 (west suburbs, former Haeju affiliate of Pyongyang FM).

4) The ID for Pyongyang Bangsong has changed to state "Pyongyang Bangsong broadcasts each day from 6am to 5:30am the following day on MW 657, 801, 855, shortwave 3320 6400 kHz and FM 92.5, 92.8, 93.6, 103.7 MHz..." 657 is the north metro area of Pyongyang, 855 is out of Anak (south metro) and 801 is in Kimchaek. Does this mean there are only 3 AM frequencies remaining? I'm not sure at the moment as I'm in the US (otherwise it would be a quick check), but the network always used to list solely the Seoul area frequencies on Pyongyang FM before, so it may simply be running multiple network feeds, as I think was always the case.

5) We'll figure out KCBS' situation soon. There are so many changes at once that it's hard to keep track of everything.

Such changes seem to make my 3-hour audio bandscan even more valuable for the fact it features recordings of what may no longer exist.

Chris Kadlec
Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide