Re: [IRCA] WC Nov 5 snapshot - SDR shoot-out

I forgot to note that those recording rates are for using the ELAD at a bandwidth of 1536 KHz, which covers the AM band. If I went up to the full 6144 MHz bandwidth possible, it would use up 4X the disk space in the same amount of time.

Mark

On 2016-11-06 10:48 am, Mark Pettifor wrote:
Another thing to consider, which you've heard myself and others talk
about, is disk space needed if you make recordings.

I use mainly 3 different softwares for listening / recording: SDR
Console, HDSDR, and the software that came with the ELAD, FDM-SW2.
Each one has it's pros and cons, and lately I've been using SDR
Console for the nice recording GUI.

I've noticed that these 3 consume disk space at different rates when
recording. Here's what I've measured:

HDSDR:  41.3 GB/hr
FDM-SW2:  30.7 GB/hr
SDR Console:  22.1 GB/hr

I don't think there's any way to change this, but if someone knows
otherwise, I'd love to hear about it!

So it looks like the recording winner would be SDR Console, right?
Well, it depends. Do you want to be able to open your recordings in
other software? Here's another chart I made up just yesterday:

Recording with HDSDR:
Playback in FDM-SW2 = No
Playback in SDR Console = Yes, if recording file is <2GB

Recording with FDM-SW2:
Playback in HDSDR = Yes
Playback in SDR Console = Yes

Recording with SDR Console:
Playback in HDSDR = Not really - it plays, but the display is all
messed up, so you can't tell what freq you are on
Playback in FDM-SW2 = No

Not sure how the Perseus fits in that scheme. I think Perseus files
play in lots of other software, but others here can weigh in on that
if they want.

Final note about recording with SDR Console - the developer has spent
a lot of time getting the software to work with just about every SDR
radio out there (which is great!), but the recordings made with it
won't play on anything but SDR Console (to my knowledge anyway).

Regarding sound quality, I've seen some great video clips of some
pretty awesome DX on the Perseus, and I can get pretty close to the
same quality on my ELAD. In the end, I think it's a combination of the
hardware and the software, but the software is where you can really
make the higher-end units (where it's apples to apples) shine. There's
a software that the ELAD can use called Zeus Radio, written for the
ZS-1 SDR radio. It has the best sound quality of anything I've used,
but the developer has other projects going and it's starting to look
like a stagnant project. The software isn't free anymore (it used to
be).

OK, Ive rambled long enough...

Mark
Goshen, IN