Re: [IRCA] WC Nov 5 snapshot - SDR shoot-out

--- Begin Message ---
Colin,

I know SDR's are the future but the Elad or Perseus are paper weights without a solid PC desktop or laptop.

This is one reason why I havent joined the Elad or Perseus fraternity yet. The other related reason, is the SDR software itself. It's too 'fragile', in the sense that updates/fixes may not be available reliably, if at all. The mitigating factor for now, is that there are a couple of free alternatives to the manufacturer's packages, SDR-Console, and HDSDR come to mind for example.

I'm a big 'fan' of SDRs, but for me the Elad DUOr, or the upcoming Icom 8600, are the way to go. Hook them up to a computer if you want/need, but no risk of it becoming a paper weight/door stopper with the next version of Windows, and/or a manufacturer that dropped the product, or has gone out of business.

If you run the Elad with the ATT off, there is "ADC" clipping, whatever that is -- and I'm in a low signal area. The only choice is clicking ATT ON. But no mention anywhere I could find what the attenuation is.

This seems to be a 'normal' occurence with SDRs. There are users of the IC-7300 SDR transceiver experiencing severe "ADC" clipping, while others say it's a case of 'operator' error (all knobs to the right).

Bottom line is that SDRs are here to stay. I have played with a SoftRock Ensemble receiver for a few years. I now spend time playing with RTL dongles. They are no Elad or Perseus, but they are a lot of fun, and a good learning platform.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

--- End Message ---