From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Paul B. Walker, Jr. <walkerbroadcasting@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2016 9:48 AM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] West Coast TA reports

Listen Chuck,

When you live up here and get some of these signals and want to let others
know ASAP one doesn't have time to fact check sometimes.

You go with what you know, especially when you have next to no (and often
NO!) internet connection like me when DXing.

You go based upon what you know.

Maybe you have the time or strong steady signals and can afford to be
perfect... But especially where I am, the very unique and rare signals can
be gone in minutes.

Colin is one of the more thorough, knowledgeable, accurate DXers I know.
Even though we get into our disagreements sometimes, he's a good guy.

What have YOU contributed to the DXing world lately, Chuck?

Paul

On Friday, September 23, 2016, R. Colin Newell <coffeecanuck@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Here's the thing *Chuck* -
>
> When there is an "opening" to TA land, it is likely very, very fleeting and
> in the interest of getting the information out to the maximum number of
> interested DX enthusiasts,
> one reports what they have quickly - because there often isn't time.
>
> When you are in the front line, that is the first few lucky folks to
> receive these weak signals, we don't tend to pull out our magnifying
> glasses, kick back in our easy chair,
> light a pipe and pontificate on what or if a station might be. We act
> quickly so others might benefit. We get on the phone (like in the olden
> days) or on the e-mail to alert the enthusiasts.
>
> My golden rule is: Observe. Report as soon as possible. And analyze the
> data afterwards.
>
> Doing something, like reporting reception is always better than reporting
> nothing - report fast and someone else might get it and the benefit of
> hearing it.
>
> The bottom line: Involve as many DXers as possible. By spending too much
> time obsessing over one channel when
> an opening may be 5 minutes long does not serve the community.
>
> My opinion of course.
>
> 73,
>
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Chuck Hutton <charlesh3@xxxxxxx
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > You made no mention of the signal being too poor to catch the language.
> >
> > You reported it as Italian, and said it is "pretty common when conditions
> > are good".
> > Also you listened to the Dutch WebSDR stream and that must have had a
> > better signal.
> >
> > If you couldn't get enough last night to catch the language, why report
> it
> > as Italian??
> >
> > Chuck
> >

> --
> Colin Newell - Editor and creator *of *Coffeecrew.com
> <http://www.Coffeecrew.com> and DXer.ca <http://www.DXer.ca> -
CoffeeCrew.Com 2016<http://www.coffeecrew.com/>
www.coffeecrew.com
Live radio interview. About the CoffeeCrew.Com experience. Since 1996, Coffeecrew.com has been a non-commercial resource, a learning place, for lovers of great coffee ...