Re: [IRCA] File size limit

I'm not going to call you in public on this Colin...not this time, but I do think you are sailing close to the edge with this sniping. (After I wrote this, I sat on it for several hours to see if I would like to change my mind about sending it....and now I see that you are thinking of offering file upload service, so now I think I had better)

File upload? Did that work on the original ircaonline.com site? You couldn't make it work when I came over to ask how it could be done, so that I could reference a couple of sound files in a technical column (one of those users trying to make the new site work). If you couldn't get it to work, how the heck did you expect me or any other user make it work? Your approach seemed to be let the user define how it should be done, including learning the skills that you already have, and that most don't, and (shock horror) are not interested in acquiring. File upload is simple on IRCA's present (fill in the blank with dismissive adjectives provided by the usual suspects) site, how could it be so complicated on the state of the art site suitable for tomorrow? And if file upload was beyond the site's capability for the average user, how on earth could anyone contribute to the site at all? I'm not saying it's easy to set up (I honestly don't know, though it seems to be a common capability in the rest of the world). All I know is that we weren't able to do it when I needed to. So I went home and used the old IRCA site, less than a minute and it was done. Mind you, I can't delete them now, so I guess I have my permanent archive, whether I like it or not, hi.

I don't know who suggested that you "Host every radio related file (currently scattered around the internet) that anyone could want in one place.." I believe I suggested that it would be a great place to permanently archive various technical documents that IRCA had generated, seeing it would have been IRCA's permanent site, and a resource for members, hopefully without dead links in the future. And yes, it could reference sound files, video etc. as examples of what was being discussed. I'm sorry if you misunderstood that suggestion, as it wasn't meant to involve you going out and hunting for such articles, simply to provide a repository and suitable links using the latest tools that you presumably knew all about.... Probably someone like the IRCA Technical Editor could have done it, but not with having to crawl around in the basement of Linux or whatever, sorry. I don't know what others' experience was when discussing the new website with you was like, but I'm afraid I got the impression that there wasn't a lot of interest in mutual development of ideas when I attempted it. I did appreciate your hospitality however!

I think that website construction is a skill. You have it (see DXer.ca). But to expect the rest of us to acquire your skill seems a bit much.

I have and have had other thoughts on forums etc., but really, once someone says to you I'd rather use my e-mail client for a forum rather than go to a specific website, and is ignored, they sort of know what's on offer. (people feel the same way about Yahoo's interface too, but at least they provide a window for the user to do it their way)

I apologize if I seem to be offensive here, but to me these are big concerns when you go offering services, perhaps with someone else's name attached. Unless file attachment service is part of a forum, does it solve the supposed problem?

best wishes,

Nick