Re: [IRCA] TA and TP DX Techniques

Hi Doug:

I concur with what Nick says. Up here around local sunset is quite often the best period. Like last night for example, 1134, 1215 and 1314 were all in with poor audio shortly after sunset. In less than an hour there was nothing, not even carriers. I've heard 1314 a good 90 minutes before sunset and if the conditions are right, it just gets better until the European sunset. For that I use GeoClock. I find this a great help.

Another thing to remember is Europeans do not modulate their carriers to the same extent as domestic stations. So I always search for the carriers first using the CW position with the offset set to zero. Once a carrier is found I go from there using whatever method is the best to dig out the audio, whether it be AM, LSB or AM Sync. Frequently the LW stations are in when the MW ones are not and just as often the opposite is true. Then maybe once or twice a year most domestics are down in the mud and virtually every split frequency has a carrier, and most have audio. If I could only understand what is being said!!!!

Good luck with your TA search.

Mike in St Isidore AB