[IRCA] Introduction

Hello list members,

My name is Dennis Vroom and I joined the list about a month ago.  Age is 55 years and I have been Dxing since 1966, when I lived in the San Francisco Bay area.  I now live in Vancouver, WA.  I've been a member of IRCA for a year now and have been reading the list for about the same time.  Started DXing on a 1937 Fada that I bought from a friend for $5.00 back in 1966.  The antenna I used was a 75'-long wire, and my best catch was KICY Nome, Alaska.  Purchased a used HQ-180 from Henry Radio in Los Angeles in June of 1968.  It was recently put into backup since purchasing a JRC NRD 545 last spring.  My first choice was a Drake R8b, but they were no longer in production.  I'm happy with the NRD 545; it's taken me sometime to learn all the controls.  Even thought the NRD was a step up, I have to say the best thing I did reception-wise was switching from a long-wire to a EWE antenna.  The 50' EWE is pointed NW and has really increased my reception of TP stations.  I also use the Palstar MW 550P tuner/preamp. Last DX season using the HQ-180 and a 5' homemade PVC loop I was able to here a few TP's from Asia.  I heard my first LW stations here in Washington state last week -- three from Russia on 153, 189, and 279 kHz.  The signals weren't that strong, but I had good audio that didn't fade much.

The TP's rolled in a few days earlier then last season.  I get home from work at 1:00 AM PDT, check the MW band and then get a few hours sleep.  I wake up around 5:30 AM PDT and listen till sunrise if the conditions are decent.  I have enjoyed reading the station tips and technical information that the members share on the list.  This has helped me very much and makes the Dxing so much  better.

73's

Dennis Vroom
Vancouver, WA