[IRCA] BOG Antenna Layouts Using Google Earth

[IRCA] BOG Antenna Layouts Using Google Earth

Iâve been interested for sometime in laying down a medium size
beverage-on-the-ground (BOG) antenna or two as a supplement to my vertical
whip and my two in-the-air wires (~150 feet bearing 24 degrees true, ~160
feet bearing 94 degrees true). The back part of my property backs up to a
significant amount of woodland through which runs a fairly substantial
creek. Thus, it did appear that I could run some hopefully surreptitious
BOGs to the north-northeast aimed at northern Europe, to the east aimed at
North Africa and/or to the south-southeast aimed at South America and the
Caribbean. (Unfortunately, running a BOG in a westerly direction is
impractical as a significant portion of my housing development lies in said
direction.) My problem was that I had no idea how much wire I could run in
these directions short of traipsing through the woods spooling out measured
twine.

Enter Google Earth which I recently loaded onto my laptop:

http://earth.google.com/

This is a really cool piece of software that allows one to view pretty much
any point on the earth with what appears to be a resolution of a few meters
and determine its latitude and longitude. The most recent Technology Review
has an excellent write up of this software:

http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/10/issue/feature_maps.1.asp

It occurred to me one day last week that I might be able to use this
software to image my neighbourhood and surrounding area. Within said image,
I figured I could test some antenna layout schemes and with the obtained
coordinates of the antenna endpoints, determine feasible antenna lengths
using a web based latitude/longitude distance calculator. Well, the need
for said calculator was rendered moot since the Google Earth software has a
tool that allows you to draw a line on your image, and it will
automatically give you the length of said line in feet, meters, miles, etc.
I thus quickly and simply laid out three antennas onto my chosen image and
determined their lengths. In summary, in theory, it looks like I can lay
out some reasonably long stretches of wire in the aforementioned
directions. You can see the results of my attempt here:

http://21centimeter.com/Miscellaneous.html

Hopefully, the above will prove of use to someone on this list.

Regards.

Peter Jernakoff
K3KMS
Wilmington, Delaware

This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

         Francais  Deutsch  Italiano  Espanol  Portugues  Japanese  Chinese  Korean

                    http://www.dupont.com/corp/email_disclaimer.html