Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] Re: Miscou Island Prelim DX Report - Long

Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] Re: Miscou Island Prelim DX Report - Long

Hi Niel,

I'll send this reply only to the IRCA and ABDX lists to reduce the
litter...:-)

Neil Kazaross wrote:
> Your western Canada loggings are awesome, especially on 1130, although 660
> certainly is superb. What antenna combo were you using for them ?

The EWE was the best antenna of the three.  We got our best results to
the west with our NNW Beverage phased against the EWE.  1130 was not
decently audible on either antenna most of the time, but phased against
each other the copy was about 50%.  I also frequently switched between
the NNE Beverage and the E-W Beverage and could achieve decent copy with
either one phased against the EWE.  I had to adjust the phasing more
frequently using the EWE-EW combination, though, and the NNW Beverage
was quieter.

Pre-phasing the EWE was certanly getting most of the western signals,
and the NNE Beverage must have been providing the cleanest pre-mix
signal for the nulling of WBBR.

I think if WBBR had not been a talk station the copy would have been
even easier, as there were frequent runs of 2-3 minutes on 1130 where
the two stations were roughly equal under phasing, but both kept
switching between announcers and it was mentally challenging to keep
focused on the "right" one...

> Can I infer, from these loggings that you termination on the east Beverage
> wasn't functioning so well ?

You probably can infer that, Neil!  We used one copper pipe as a ground
rod, bought late that afternoon at a local hardware store.  It was
hammered about 3 feet into some hard-packed sand near a thicket of
stunted trees and moss-like stuff.  In past years we have used a
prefabbed radial kit because of the dodgy ground, but it didn't make the
trip this time due to Ken and Niel traveling by air instead of driving
with a van-load of stuff.

When I removed the termination, the guys back in the cabin didn't notice
any sudden change...they were surprised to see me back so fast.

> Also did you find the SSE long Bev useful for eastern LA's/Brazil ? At that
> length a Beverage should work quite well.

That was the intention of the SSE long Bev, and it pulled RVC in well as
expected, but domestic signals were so strong/good that we concentrated
on them for the first night.  Ken and Niel are pretty excited about
having it sitting there at 1800-plus feet, if the Sun should kick up again.