[IRCA] Miscou Island Prelim DX Report - Long

[IRCA] Miscou Island Prelim DX Report - Long

I just returned from my brief two-day portion of the Miscou Island, New Brunswick DX-pedition. This is the fifth annual event, and four AM DXers were present over the weekend. Geoff Rivett and I returned home today to our homes in New Brunswick. Niel Wolfish and Ken Alexander each took a week of vacation and remain on the Island until Friday, September 30th. They will report and file their logs when they fly back to Ontario next weekend.

Location: Miscou Island on the northern tip of New Brunswick province, in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. 47°59'40"N, 64°32'43"W. (If you want to fly there with Google Earth I'll email you the .kmz file as an attachment).

Antennas: Two Beverages, and one EWE

BEV1: As a hedge against an active Sun wiping out TA DX for all or part of the week, we deployed our longest Beverage along a NNW-SSE axis. As there is little to our north to cause QRM from southern stations, we decided not to bother terminating this Beverage. The distance straight-line distance from feedpoint to far end was 1836 feet. The actual length of the wire, allowing for sand dune detours, we closer to 2000 feet.

BEV2: Our other Beverage was strung at a bearing of exactly 90 degrees true, and therefore was aimed directly at Tunisia, central Africa and Madagascar. We terminated this Beverage to reduce QRM from stations to our west (which was a stroke of non-genius on my part...see below!).

EWE: Our third antenna was a EWE, which Ken constructed and brought with him on his flight, made of aluminium poles at each end, at a length of 9 feet each, joined by 16 ga jacketed hookup wire - separated from ground by wooden dowels of a few feet in length. The null end of the EWE was terminated with a variable resistor - which was pre-configured after computer modeling to be just over 1400 Ohms. We decided to not fiddle with it on the first night. This turned out to be our BEST antenna, and we were astounded with its quietude, while still delivering decent RF levels in to our listening post. It was oriented to try to null local pest CJVA-810 (at a bearing of 233-degrees), and did a fairly good job. The EWE worked so well, when Geoff and I left this morning the remaining two DXers on Miscou were considering rolling up the 90-degree Beverage altogether, or re-deploying it in another direction.

Receiving Equipment: Three Wellbrook active multicouplers - one for each antenna - each feeding four receivers. Each listener could switch between and combine any two of the three outdoor antennas, and we all had Quantum Phasers for peaking and nulling. Geoff also had a Quantum QX Pro loop. Ken and Niel each brought their AOR-7030s, Geoff had his Drake R8, and I had my Icom R-75 with Kiwa mods. We also had an assortment of portable radios (most of the Sony line from the last 25 years, as it turned out <G>).

DX - Night/Day One/Two (of seven)

We all arrived late on Friday evening, well after sunset, so there was no time to string antennas. We socialized for several hours over several of New Brunswick's finest Beverages.....not the antenna kind...caught up on recent events, and then we tuned around a bit with our portables. I had a great copy on COPE Spain on 1215 (although I expected Virgin Radio to be better given the STI). Other coastal souther Europeans were strong also.

On Saturday we busied ourselves with stringing the Beverages and erecting the EWE. After that work was done it was time to configure the listening positions, which took over an hour. There was about $15,000 worth of stuff on that small cottage's wooden table by the time we were done, just in time for DX.

Saturday night's DX started about 1.5 hours before local sunset. Carriers were noted on almost all of the splits early on, with the strongest and earliest being 1044 SER Spain, 1422 (Algeria?p) and 1584 SER Spain. Best early audio was 1296 COPE Valencia with a soccer game (futbol, surprise!). By local twilight practically all of the TA splits were lit up nicely, with the usual stuff reported regularly by Mark, Marc, Chris, and Bruce from the East Coast of New England.

Our biggest mystery started at 2157Z, and continued for almost 15 minutes on 1224. It was a hit parade of pop music, including great copy on Tom Jones' "Kiss," followed by "I'm a Believer" by Smashmouth. Never did get an ID despite lingering for all that time. We would like to hear from someone across the Pond who can fill us in on the formats of the stations found on 1224. Of course, we are hoping it was Israel. By 2213 the usual COPE was back up, with a full ID and taking a phone call from a listener. We moved on...

Spain on 684 was absolutely dominating by 2215. It was loud and virtually interference-free, despite being sanwiched between Montreal and Boston/Halifax.

BBC Radio 5 on 693 was armchair at 2217, with an interview. It was // 909. Talksport 1089 was also loud, with a live phone interview of an American named Brian about the effects of Hurricane Rita.

We think we heard Guinea on 1295 at about 2306Z. It had traditional music very similar to what we have all heard regularly from Nouakchott, Mauritania on MW and SW (at least, before the coup...). There were breaks with a man talking, and none of us could identify the language.

Our next mystery came just after 0100Z Sunday, on 1350 KHz (after some pretty nifty phasing). Clear, loud, Arab-style music which persisted for several minutes. None of our listed stations seem to match that type of programming. We looked on 9495 for Georgia's parallel signal but could not find a match.

SUNDAY MORNING:  Hello, Western Canada!

Well, the best part of my short stay on Miscou had nothing to do with TAs, as it turned out. I have since seen on some of the DX lists that several others had a good copy of Brandon/Winnipeg on 880 on the weekend. Same here! I was the first to rise at about 0545 Miscou time, 0445 ELT. The rest followed within a few minutes and we were all back at our posts by 0500 ELT. Snacking on cereal, drinking juice, tea and coffee.

With WCBS nulled/phased out, at 0501 ELT I copied a weather forecast in Celsius, followed by the Canadian lottery numbers from the night before. Then into country music with no audible ID. We have no doubt who it was, and former Winnipegger Niel Wolfish was quite confident we had Manitoba.

With that almost-logging, we got a little bolder and looked farther west. Within a few minutes Geoff thought he heard a reference to Calgary on 660 with WFAN phased out. I passed him my NRC Domestic Log to he could see if there was such a creature and...sure enough....there was CFFR listed in all its glory. We all tuned to 660 at around 0520, phased, and all heard "It's My Party," "What a Wonderful World," "Black Magic Woman," and the dead giveaway for a Canadian, "As the Years Go By," by Mashmakan. Then, the ID, "Calgary's station for good times!" and into Strawberry Alarm Clock's "Incense and Peppermints" @ 0529.

Thinking we could go even further, I asked Niel, "What's CKWX's frequency?" He (who seems to have the Domestic Log committed to memory) said, "1130." Hmm, WBBR just pounds in here, but what the heck. I tuned to 1130, started switching and phasing and before long had a woman talking, in a newscast, about "Cloverdale," and then "boundaries." Neil and I both had it by then, and after the woman announcer threw to a male there were frequent mentions of the "Lower Mainland," then into hockey scores at 0545, with the Canucks' exhibition game first - mentioning Ed Jovanovski, and then CFL football; followed by baseball. Considering baseball is in the final throes of a pennant chase, and the NHL regular season has not even started yet, we were confident at that point it was CKWX. Niel confirmed it when he heard, with the same voice used for the promos on sister station "680 News" in Toronto, many of the exact same phrases and styles on 1130.

Next, at 0549 EDT, we all arrived on 1140 just in time to hear, "Southern Alberta's community radio station, AM-1140." Then it went into a C&W song. That was CHRB in High River. We could hear it dominating on 1140, with no phasing required, on all of the antennas. It was about half-daylight on Miscou by that point.

In less than an hour, I had heard three new provinces from New Brunswick, bringing me from 6 to 9. And only my third West-Coast station EVER (after KFI and KNX 30 years ago). Before it was too late I trolled for Saskatchewan but came up empty. Next time...

In summary, while we all went with TA and SA DX in mind, I returned home very stoked about the conditions to the west. I have regained an appreciation for the thrills of domestic DX. None of us anticipated it. We had, as mentioned above, terminated our East-West Beverage to favour Africa. By the time I decided to leave the radio and dare to run the 1000-feet plus to undo the termination...it was too late, and too light. Interestingly, the conditions to Western Canada did not translate into Western USA enhancement. No KSL, KGO, or anything else one might expect. Nothing from WOAI or WBAP either. WOAI was my farthest-west SRS domestic two years ago from Miscou.

I'm posting this report as a narrative. If I get time I'll actually submit my loggings to the appropriate editors. Niel will undoubtedly do so also, and his record of Miscou will be more complete and detailed than mine. I'll defer to him as the true chronicler of the 2005 Miscou DX-pedition.

Before I finish, I want to say how much we missed Jacques D'Avignon, VE3VIA, this year as he is recuperating at home. We spoke of him often, and look forward to Jacques' return next year for the sixth annual Miscou event.

I also want to report that, after a horrendous noise level last year, we reported it to my local power utility, NB Power. After some early frustration and some follow-ups by Jacques and me, NB Power's northern New Brunswick manager called me personally last week to report that their crews had gone to Miscou, found the problem and fixed it over the summer. He wished me success and told me to call him personally if there were any problems with his utilitiy's lines. The conditions were perfect, quiet, and free from QRM. We are very grateful to NB Power for the time and expense it took to work the problem for our crew of DXers.

So, that's it! I'm off to read/cull the 400-plus emails that have landed in my inbox from the plethora of DX lists that I find myself subscribed to as we all try to find a safe place to land. For those of you who are similarly subscribed to multiple lists for the time being, I apologize for the many copies of this report you will receive. I hope we all find an agreed-upon single home real soon!

I hope you enjoyed my little narrative, and I encourage you to stand by for Niel and Ken's official report from the Island, as the two full-time DXers continue their work tonight and through the coming week.

73

Brent Taylor, VE1JH
(back home in) Doaktown, NB, Canada