Re: [IRCA] Digital Recorders MP3 Technology. Advice sought.

Re: [IRCA] Digital Recorders MP3 Technology. Advice sought.

Charles,

I cleaned trash from email and have no record of previous conversations on this thread, so I may be redundant.  Unless you are really hooked on the idea of a player/recorder as a standalone entity, you would be better off buying a software package to do the job.  In the past, someone mentioned "Total Recorder" (http://www.highcriteria.com/) as a very highly regarded program.  Price is $12-24 depending on options.  There is also something called "Radio Your Way" (http://www.pogoproducts.com/radio_yourway.html" that is an external piece of hardware.  Price is $200-250 (not counting discount availability).  They both have advantages, but I personally would be more interested in "Total Recorder" as it has editing versatility built-in.  All you would need to use it is a cable (and possibly an adapter) to hook a computer audio-in to the radio's line-out or headphone jack.

Correlating seconds/minutes to KB varies on the quality of the MP3 recording.  A recording of an AM radio station does not require near as much bandwidth as a symphony, so you could cut the bitrate down and still be fine with the recording.  As a general rule, you can consider 1 MB equal to 1 minute.

If you have a Windoze computer, you probably have SOUND RECORDER built-in.  It will record WAV files (1 minute = 10 MB), and there are programs available to convert WAV to MP3.  You can listen to MP3, WAV or SHN files in Winamp.  SHN files require a special Winamp plug-in.

Hope this helps!

Mike Hawkins

Charles A & Leonor L Taylor <calltaylor@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Patrick Martin, thank you for your feedback about MP3 recorder/players!

FOLKS:

Still need lots of advice on using MP3 to record and playback from my DX
receiver.

1. Don't have any idea what 15 seconds of station ID is likely to
translate to in KB of MP3 file. The usual ID full of fanfare, BS and
bellowing.

2. I have numerous 100 and 250 MB Zip? disks which I much prefer to use
in the meantime for storing DX MP3 files.

3. Don't EVEN want to think about buying and interfacing a CD ROM burner
right now. In the future, say like a year when I get comfortable with DX
MP3 file
storage it looks like the way to go. But not now for me.

4. Request maybe a list of $100 - $200 MP3 recorder/players. I prefer
USB interface, but I can't be choosy.

5. This is even farther in the future, but is there anyone out there in
IRCA Romper Room who has used DSP with MP3 files and the like?

I'm ahead of the pack in some aspects of digital, but haven't so much as
a clue about other.

73 de Charles WD9INP/4

--

------