[IRCA] Utah DX

I just got back from a week in the Salt Lake UT
area (Patty is doing a short coding contract there
and I went out to sightsee for a while). Temps were
in the 40's at night and 60's day and generally
wet. There is still quite a bit of snow on the
higher peaks in the Wasatch range. We got to Park
City, Antelope Island and Eureka. I was hoping to
drive to Evanston WY to check out the mighty 1240
KEVA operation there, but that was too ambitious
an effort (100 miles each way) for the available
time.

DX'ing wise, I took the DX398. We were staying in
Orem, just north of Provo, about 35 miles south
of SLC. Farthest north reception daytime, aside
from KBOI-670 was KVNU Logan 610. It was easy
to hear KSUB-590 to the south. The 1640 and 1660
in Sandy and Brigham City was weaker then I had
expected and I had to listen from the car to
get them. Little from the east, due to the Wasatch
range. At night, many regional freqs are somewhat
more open that we are used to from the eastern
part of the country. The GY's have more potential
as well. 1240 was the only really good possibility
and I had some WY and NV at times, 1230 Murray and
1340 Heber are semilocal and 1400 and 1450 Provo
are locals. The latter two, I went to their xr sites
and got some photos. Also drove past KHQN 1480 in
Spanish Fork, they are full time krishna (Indian
Asiatic mx) and asking for donations on air. There
is a fairly big Indian temple next to their studio
and xr, on Rte 6 south of Spanish Fork. Getting any
taped voice ID on 1480 was a real challenge as I
think they program off of a CD changer. I did get
taped one "ID" asking for listeners to call in.

I heard the new KUTR 820 promo'ing Sunday, and their
first day on RS Monday the 9th with womens' oriented
programming. Their night signal was decently good
where we were (exit 272 in I-15). Low-key talk. The
most noticeable change for me is the large amount of
country, and religious programming. and the difficulty
of getting "legal" IDs on tape, one example is KANN
in Roy who never said more than that, that I ever
heard, with (apparently canned) religious.

KNX and KNBR were "full quieting" if such an analogue
can be made for AM. I would call KFI an s-7 on the
same scale, listenable, but nowhere near the punch
of 680 and 1070. Other "big" signals such as KDWN
and KXNT, as well as KGO, did not particularly
stand out strength-wise. 660 Window Rock and 890 in
St George were mixed with co-channel signals and I
could not pick out 670 Boise at night, and 1140
Idaho was just a tentative. I think 1020 Roswell is
SS and if so, they were heard. KTWO 1030 was decent,
and I did hear 1210 KHAT Cheyenne with oldies and
little self-promotion. This was around 10 pm to
midnight, and was from inside a Marriott with a
unamplified DX398 on the windowsill. Not optimum.

Always nice to listen from a totally new location.
I bought not one but TWO hand held digital recorders
and filled them up. I'll describe then in a separate
posting.

- Bob