Re: [IRCA] CAL. DEAD STATION LIST

Patrick,

Yahoo mail doesn't help me in the sorting process of these emails when they're rather fast and furious, so this may not be the "best" place to throw in a few words, but I think that KPIR moved from 1500 to 1120, then changed calls to KPNW.  Vane Jones logs were the source of this info.

Mike Hawkins

Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mike,

I never heard 1330 in 1964 as I lived Seward AK when the earthquake hit,
9.2 on the scale. I heard them as KFKF years later. But my mistake, my
QSL was from KFKF 1540, not 1330 in checking. Yes, I do remember KURB. I
never heard them under KURB. I logged and QSL'd them in the early 80s
under KKNW and then KKZU. But they were on their last legs by that
time. My QSL from 1480 was 1993 as KDFL, 1996 as KNTB and 1995 as KLAY.
KNTB moved there after KLAY moved to 1180.
While we are on the subject of Dead stations, I will bring up Oregon.
Some are KBOY-730-Medford QSL'd in 1968, KSHA-860-Medford QSL'd in
1971, KWSA-1070-Klamath Falls (Who still says they will return.),
KAPT-1220-Salem (1970 QSL-That went broke trying to compete with 5 KWer
KGAY who was also C&W at the time. Both were daytimers, KAPT with 1 KW.
Years later KCCS c! ame on, KPRB-1240-Redmond (1986 QSL-I guess there is
a CP for a new station on 1240 for Redmond), KGBU-1250-Florence (The
station went off in the mid 80s after Michael Younce, the owner died-His
wife shut it down. A year or so later KCST came on), KHUG-1300-Medford
(1982-Not sure how this revolved, but it seems to me 1300 was silent for
a number of years. 1230 Medford moved to 610 and went SS, and, I found a
KDOV-1350 QSL. I think that is KAPL 1300 today. Then we have another
from Southern Oregon KROR-1360 Myrtle Creek that came on about 1982 and
changed to KRGL in 1985 and went off for good. A 5 KWer daytimer. Nice
QSL letters under both calls. KIVR-1400-Cave Junction that went silent
back in the 90s. Even back in the early 80s, I had heard the station was
very lean, so on my way South to CA, I stopped by to get a QSL. They did
not reply by mail. But a nive vl in person. KYNG-1420-Coos Bay. Here is
another I am not sure of. I think maybe they! were finally sold to the
school system there in Coos Bay now at KMHS.
There were several I never heard as I lived in AK from 55-67. Some
others that have been gone since the mid 60s include KPIR-1500-Eugene
(This may have become KPNW-1120, but not sure) and KWAY-1570-Forest
Grove (1 KW daytimer that went off in 1966). The station building and
tower were there for many years driving through Forest Grove. Not sure
if they are still there or not. I knocked on the door of the house next
door in the 70s and an older lady answered saying her departed husband
owned and operated the station. When he died the station was shut down.
She wanted to know if I wanted to buy the tower. The 200' was only
$50,000 as I remember. It was getting quite rusty at the time.

73s,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR