Re: [IRCA] WA stations

Patrick Martin wrote:

>Charlie,
>
>How is that for a subject line? I was just replying to others e mails.
>You must have meant KKZU on 1510 and not 1500. KVSN Tumwater was on
>1500.  But as with you, the old memory is not what it used to be, or
>should I say, too many events through the years to remember them all.
>That is one reason I rely on my QSL collection for dates as I can't
>remember it all.
>
>73s,
>
>Patrick
>
>Patrick Martin
>Seaside  OR
>KAVT Reception Manager

Patrick,

Yes, the Magic Duck will fly down and leave a "prize" for you! KKZU-1510
IS the one on tape

KVSN was out of the picture. Have only heard "of it."

We got to Whidbey Island in July 1984. It was the middle of what counts
as a "drought" on the e. side of the Olympics, and was "hot" to boot. To
those folks.

After working on a bandscan for a while, I was really struck by the
mid-day skywave up there. Never heard anything like it back in Indiana,
never.

•I have in my bandscan CJVI-900 Victoria going through a long, slow,
comb-like phase fade at midday. Same for CFAX-1070 Victoria "SeaFax."

•And all day listening to KSGO "Solid Gold Oldies" Oregon City with no
groundwave but yet all day long solid signal on skywave only. One of my
AM listening favorites.

•And KKHI-1550 SF chopping up semilocal KNTR-1550 Ferndale (WA). •KNTR
was just on-air, I think, and was doing a continuous loop for "The
All New News-Talk Radio, 15-50, KNTR, Ferndale/Bellingham." Bringing the
fairly new CNN all-news network to N.W. Washington for the first time.

In about 10 years of MW DX as a kid, the only time I remember skywave of
that magnitude back in Indiana was a once-only appearance around 1400
winter of KXEL-1540 Waterloo (IA). Otherwise always KXEL would not
appear winters 'til well past sunset.

Choke it, Chuck: You're running way into OT (either significance).

Signing off.

Cholly