Re: [IRCA] Update on California Stations

Re: [IRCA] Update on California Stations

Here's the story on 1380; this is from the same person who will know about 1520 (Jim Hilliker). He worked for Clear Channel in Salinas until last fall. These will be bits and pieces of several e-mails I got from him regarding 1380:

In case you didn't know, KZFX-1380 in Salinas is now dark, and has been off
the air as of Thursday afternoon, November 4th.

The reason, from what I heard earlier, was that the land on the transmitter
site is being developed by the landowner, and it would cost Clear Channel
too much money to find a new transmitter site  at this time to keep it
going.  I believe however they're keeping the KZFX calls in case they decide
to put 1380 back on the air in the future.

The station had been a Fox Sports affiliate as KZFX since last fall, until a
few months ago, when sports was dropped and it was simulcasting the
now-defunct news talk format of KION-1460.

Before that, 1380 was The Dude with the KTOM-AM calls with sports talk from
the Sporting News network....And for many years as KTOM, it was simulcasting
KTOM-FM's country format and even earlier, had been a country station on its
own in the '70s and '80s...

1380-AM went on the air with 1,000 watts in 1948 as the first radio station
on the air in Salinas as KSBW, for the Salad Bowl of the World. The station
then was a Don Lee-Mutual network affiliate with local news, music and
sports.

The next two are from 1380's CE:

Jim,

That's true.  The xmtr site will be sold by Mty Cty to a private developer
with housing, shopping and parkland going int.  The cost to develop a new
1380 site was estimated at $1.4m dollars - way too much for a station that
hasn't billed that much business in well over a decade.

A bit more on why KZFX-1380 in Salinas, CA (ex-KTOM, ex-KSBW) went dark last week.  This is from the chief engineer for Clear Channel Monterey, "Radio Mike" Blankenbecler.  I believe Mike had been CE for KTOM AM and FM since the early 1980s, about 24 years total.  I worked with Mike on and off since 1986, a great guy.  He also does some work for a couple of other stations in this area.

Anyway, besides the obvious that the 1380 station had not been a ratings and /or revenue winner for many years and the cost of getting a new xmtr site, Mike explains a bit more about the situation, and what's happening next with the defunct 1380-AM tower site.

73

Jim Hilliker
Monterey, CA