Re: [IRCA] Update on California Stations

Re: [IRCA] Update on California Stations

> Understand that Coalinga (CA) comes from "Coaling [station] A" on one
of
> the railroads back
> many decades ago. Trying to approach the word "coalinga" from a
> linguistic viewpoint is a
> baffling pursuit. It looks plausible as a possible Indian or Spanish
> word, but trying to research it
> from that angle would leave one at an absolute and puzzling dead end.

> Stories From The Front Lines.
>
> Cholly

I respectfully and humbly opine that the derivation of "Coalinga"
is nothing more than "Coaling A" with the space between the
G and the A removed, and the pronunciation jimmied up a bit.

Usually the simplest explanation is the best. Isn't that the
essence of Furdock's Third Sub-maxim, or something like that?

- Bob

ps - the only thing I know about California is (1) I can't afford
to move there and (2) there MUST be a rational explanation for
the fact that, on every deposit soda bottle, each state lists the
nickel return price, but no, California, in its infinite wisdom,
makes the bottle manufacturers print "CA CASH REFUND"

Huh???

Oh yeah (3) I could not bring my Bushmaster .223 with me.