[IRCA] Re: TA's on the West Coast

At 17:18 27/02/2005, you wrote:
>Mike:
>
>         I know that DXers have in the past year or two reported reception
> of Norway
>on 1314 in SoCal.  (I don't know the specifics).  I think that Croatia on
>1134 would
>have a decent chance as would Maurantania 783.

TA's in the Northwest tend to be more Trans Arctic, hence the dominance of
Norway.  Years ago, I was more likely to hear Turkey than Spain for
example.  Having said that, when things got really quiet in late 1997, a
carrier turned up on 783 which looped towards Mauritania, just a short time
before the inevitable geomagnetic storm wiped everything out.

783 might be a better bet in California with the more southerly path
though.  Sure is a regular out Massachusetts way from what I recall from
working there....

73,
Nick

>         On the opposite end, I have had signal traces on 1566 a couple of
> times this
>season around 1000-1200 (assumed HLAZ, Jeju, South Korea).  Maybe I ought to
>pay more attention.
keep looking for this one; if you can hang in to 1230UT, they send their
directional signal to Japan and thence to North America; you might be in
the lobe a bit.  You can certainly hear the boost here.