Re: [IRCA] BAD NEWS, DXers! BPL Approved By Reckless FCC

Re: [IRCA] BAD NEWS, DXers! BPL Approved By Reckless FCC

Earlier I wrote,

> > Banning hams would be enforceable, but I think
> > an attempt to ban receiving would be even less
> > successful than any attempt to ban gun ownership.
> > Maybe in Canada, but I doubt it would go far here.

Colin replied,

> Guns are not banned in Canada -- just regulated.
>
> Amateur radio is fairly well regulated
>
> Colin Newell
> Victoria, B.C. Canada (more hunting rifles per capita than in the
U.S.A)

And I reply,

See "would" vs. "will" or "are"

I was speaking in what I suppose is the future subjunctive
which spoke in the hypothetical case of whether guns
ever would be banned in Canada, and how that would be
accepted there, and comparing that to a similar type of
case where ham operation would be banned here. If
gun ownership were to be banned in Canada it would likely
meet less resistance, than if that were to happen here.
Same for hams. Many people here are no longer in a
roll-over-and-play-dead mode.

As an OT aside, it is not correct to say that gun ownership
is not regulated in the US**. In many places, it is highly
regulated, but it is a local/state issue. Only when issues
such as the 1934 NFA and the 1968 GCA are involved,
and BATF regulations apply, is it a nation-wide issue.

**and yes I know you did _not_ say that

- Bob