Re: [HCDX] Is there anything particular about 5.9-6MHz

Re: [HCDX] Is there anything particular about 5.9-6MHz

Excellent article.  I began SWL when in 1971 a portable AM/FM (FM totally
new to me back then) began to pick up SW stations in between the AM
stations...which was rather cool considering that I had just begun MW DXing.
  I actually wrote to the SW stations with reception reports and it was then
that I realized, by the frequencies listed on the QSLs received, that these
stations were in the same area 5.9 - 6.+ mHz.  For half a year, that was my
only window to SWL.  On a very dry autum day, my under the kitchen cabinet
radio will pick up a station or two - usually VOA or CBC, last time I
listened.  Perhaps the strangest "dry" radio was when, also back in the
70's, I ran a speaker wire between two floors and for the heck of it I wired
it to a recorder as a mic (cold war, James Bond, Man from U.N.C.L.E., you
know - spy flicks were in back then) and I noticed the meter jumping, so I
recorded it and when I played it back, it was CBC in the same meter band; I
remember that because it was reel to reel and I had to listen to about 90
minutes of tape for a freq.

Thanks for the article - this joggled some memories, as listed above.

Konnie
Connecticut

>From: Francois Dion <francois.dion@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [HCDX] Is there anything particular about 5.9-6MHz
>Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:33:57 -0400
>
>First, I'm in the southeast US (Piedmont Triad of North Carolina).
>
>For about 8 months now I've been getting accidental reception of various
>stations between 5.935 and a little above 6MHz, culminating in last night I
>received simultaneously RTI (i think), radiochina (because of the www
>identifier), Radio Sweden Stockholm, wwcr Tennesee (all of them I
>identified
>between 5.9 and 6.0MHz) and an unidentified station from Cuba (there is
>probably one at around that).
>
>This wouldn't be so interesting if it wasn't for the fact that I've
>received
>this in wildly different circumstances. First, I've gotten these exact
>frequencies many times using various "circuits" and different "antennas"
>(or
>absence of).
>
>In particular:
>http://www.cimastudios.com/fdion/water.html#wr3
>or for a recap of the past few months:
>http://www.cimastudios.com/fdion/water.html
>
>I also have constructed "dry" receivers with similar results (basically
>similar in concept to foxhole radios without a tuning circuit).
>
>Or thru a Radio-Shack mini amplified speaker. I've modified it for maximum
>gain and to use as a VLF receiver, and apparently the signal goes thru the
>C3198 transistor which acts as a detector. Different type of antennas
>produce different signal strenght, always thru a floating ground. If I get
>proper ground then I only get VLF. If I use a loop antenna, the same, just
>VLF, no SW.
>
>That's all fine and dandy, but why always these frequencies given there is
>no tuner?? Surely there can be no correlation between all these various
>accidental receptions. Yet, it is always those same stations that get
>picked
>up, around 6MHz.
>
>Thanks,
>Francois