QSL: Re: Old QSLs

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION.
or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx
>Radiodifusora de la Casa de la Cultura Ecuatoriana from Quito, Ecuador
>verified my 1975 receptionreport on their 4930 khz frequency after sending
>them a follow up.
>Total time between reception and QSL: 11 years and 4 months.

Is it only me that thinks this follow up mania is going out off hands?
Since when has DXing evolved from receiving long distance stations to
a mere card collecting hobby at any cost?
Why not try to listen to those stations, hear what they have to tell
about their country, area, city and people? I'm sure you then will
experience the social aspect about broadcasting.

This doesn't mean I am against reporting and QSL collecting. I send
several reports every year, but hardly any follow ups. It is a lot
better to catch the station once more - and more fun, as you get
another chance to listen.
And for all those stations gone away, why not just remember them for
what they were: nice catches and part of history.

Besides, having visited many Latin American radio stations (without
having collected one single QSL on site) I can assure you that:
1) they do receive your reports to a great degree;
2) they do like them;
3) they will answer them if they have the time and urge.
However, receiving lots of dusty, ancient reports from pure QSL
maniacs (what else could we call it?) certainly do not improve that
urge.

Hermod Pedersen <hermod@xxxxxx>
Nordic Shortwave Center <http://swl.sds.se/>