Re: [IRCA] Longwire for Tecsun PL-360

About that, some new info I got just now..
I tested my toroid coil using a Fluke 79 Series II meter, not true RMS but I'm after relative voltage at fixed frequency sine wave, not absolute voltage, so this should be fine. Also, a Chinese digital phase accumulator based signal generator, sinewave, digital readout and variable output amplitude (amazing widget for the price). It fed through R, through L, to ground, with results as follows:
99.7R
2.506VAC across R and L
1.253VAC across L
Frequency is 21.57 KHz, so by L=R/(2*PI*F*3^0.5), inductance is 4.247E-4 H, or 424.7 µH.

A bit high, should be 350 µH, but the reception result seemed to indicate that it was too low, not too high. If anyone can help me understand why this results in such poor tuning selectivity, please do. I'd assumed all I had to do was satisfy the PL-360's inductance needs, then couple the longwire into that. It certainly works with the existing antenna.

For reference, a test of the supplied external ferrite rod antenna:
99.7R
2.507VAC across R and L
1.253VAC across L
Frequency is 29.2 KHz, so by L=R/(2*PI*F*3^0.5), inductance is 3.137E-4 H, or 313.7 µH.

Slightly less than the expected 350 µH, but not the starved minimum that one web page reported, of only 240 or so, but I think that was about the PL-380's ferrite antenna, not PL-360's. Same radio IC though, so likely relevant.

I'm wondering if the inductance range is more critical for the Si4734 or Si4735 IC than I thought it was, or if winding the toroid's coil with turns closely set or using Litz wire is better in this case. I used single strand enameled copper, about 0.6mm diameter. I'm also wondering if my assumption that a 1:1 turns ratio is entirely wrong, but given successful results on a PL-390 with about 80 turns and about 65 on their main winding, it doesn't look like it can be bad enough to explain the poor reults with my toroid. (Which is presumably around 4000 to 5000 permeability, as the seller claimed after doing his own tests before listing them, and judging by today's test it's one of the higher ones in the batch I bought...)

Crow.

(04/09/2015 16:45)