Re: [IRCA] 1st NEW STN on 1400 Khz since 1982!!! WDNY Dansville, NEW YORK

What other receivers have you tried in the past for DXing 1400 Rob?

thanks.

best wishes,

Nick

At 18:22 26-03-15, you wrote:
Hi Guys:

Well?.after several years of contemplation, I finally took the Plunge and bought myself an SDR Radio!! I may never sleep again, but I am now the proud owner of an ELAD FDM-S2 Receiver. It arrived yesterday and after some head scratching I was able to get it installed on a new Laptop I also purchased so the receiver could have it's own dedicated laptop to run it on.

I have to admit a Technical Wizard I am not!! The learning curve for this thing will be steep for me, but after only a few hours of using it, I can see that it is going to be fun?once I figure it all out!!

I have been DXing on the AM BCB since 1976 and in the last 39 Years I had only ever logged 1 Station on the Graveyard Frequency of 1400 Khz?..and that was way back in 1982. I have a Strong, Close LOCAL Station on 1410 Khz (CKSL), which completely destroys 1400 Khz from all angles!! I believe the previous station I heard on 1400 Khz back in 1982 was heard using a 4 Foot Box Loop to null CKSL just enough to hear WJET from Erie, PA. Since that time I have not been able to hear ANY AUDIO from ANY STATION on 1400 Khz due to CKSL's Splatter!!

Last night on 1400 Khz using the ELAD's excellent Filters, Notches, and Noise Blankers I was able to hear at least 3 Different Stations on 1400 Khz. I was only able to ID one of the stations, but even that is cause to celebrate here!!! I'm sure as I become more familiar with the ELAD SDR, I will be able to hear more interesting stuff as time goes on?..

For me this is like moving from the Mesozoic Era to the Space Age!!!! I'm still looking for the Tuning Knobs!!!

The real Bonus for me is that the ELAD also covers the FM Broadcast Band, and I am also a Big FM DXer?it will be fun!!!

RADIO USED???????..ELAD FDM-S2 SDR Receiver

ANTENNA USED??????180 Foot Longwire

73????ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

1400  WDNY  Dansville, NEW YORK  Mar/25/15   2312 EDT     EE     FAIR
Classic Hits/Oldies Music. Songs by Neil Diamond "Sweet Caroline" and Chris Cross
"Sailing". IDs sung out between songs as "WDNY".

NEW STATION GRAVEYARDER # 155 Heard      1 KW
ROSS, ON.