[IRCA] Phasing Question

I'd like to get the opinion of the IRCA brain trust on this. I just got a
pa0rdt active mini-whip, mainly to use traveling with an Afedri SDR. I
decided last night to use it to phase against my indoor Wellbrook. I had
mixed results--I could knock down all of my locals, but in all cases but
one I did not hear any usable audio from other stations.

What I was doing was to orient the Wellbrook to null my local as much as
possible, then phase it against the mini-whip. Is this the right technique,
or should I be aiming the directional antenna in some other fashion?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Albany, NY