Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 17:37:09 -0400
From: bobgale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: am@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [NRC-AM] good portable receiver

    Bob,

      I had an Icom R-70 in the 80's and it worked very well on MW, even
      better if you're away from locals. Not because of overload, but
      you have only the passband filter to attack slop from a local.
      (That's in a stock R-70.) I suppose you could use ecss on MW, too.
      There's a very easy mod (clipping one wire) which activates the
      preamp on MW. Sensitivity was very good to excellent on MW with
      that mod. Plus, since it's a higher end communications rig, it
      easily handles external antennas.

      Hope this helps.

      Bob Galerstein WB2VGD

      Monroe, NY