[IRCA] good portable receiver for DXing

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good portable receiver which won't break the bank. it doesn't have to be an ultralight, performance is my main criterion. I would like something with continuous tuning also if possible that covers LW on up to 30 kHz or higher. I have been looking at the various Sony's such as the ICF-2002, the Sony ICF-2010 looks good but expensive. I need this as I will be doing a lot of traveling to S America. I have a Rat Shack DX-394 which I could use but I was never real impressed with it's performace, it overloaded very easily with my LW's and dipoles. I don't think this would be a problem though as I doubt I'll be able to string up any dipoles for a while in Lima, Peru. I am not opposed to buying something second hand such as on ebay but would like some opinions for these small radios as I know next to nothing about the different models being a boatanchor man for most of my life. Performace is uppermost in my mind, and I really don't care too much about FM performanc!
 e, mainly MW and LW,
Is there anyone here that owns a RS DX-394 that can compare it to the current crop of good portables, or in other words should I just stick with this one?

Bob Young
Millbury, Ma (and Lima, Peru)
KB1OKL