[IRCA] Daytime reception

Hi everyone,

I am stuck at home today while my van is being serviced, so I thought I
would do a bit of band scanning. I have been busy during the day that I
have not really been able to check the band out for a long time during
the day. I repaired the Eastern beverage a few months back and got it
back to 1500 feet, but I did not terminate it this time.  The first
thing I noticed, how directional the Eastern Beverage is without the
termination! There is a difference with the lobes with the beverage
floating. It never did me much good to run the beverage through a
resistor to ground. It always worked better running it directly to a
series the copper pipes at the far end. Living on the Oregon Coast, the
antenna always runs over very wet swampy soil and it was terminated in
the same swampy soil. Anyway. one big difference is the Puget Sound
(Seattle) stations. The antenna runs at about 75 degrees nulls Seattle
better than it did terminated. I no longer have that strong lobe at 30
degrees.  Here are some results.

Freq     Station     Term      Non Term
570       KVI          S9+10    S9+4
630       KCIS        S9+       S9 (QRM)
710       KIRO        S9+15   S9+4
770       KTTH        S9+12   S9+4
820       KGNW      S9+6     S9+1
850       KHHO       S9+5     S9
880       KIXI          S9+5      S9
950       KJR          S9+12    S8 1/2
1000     KOMO      S9+5      S8
1050     KBLE        S8          S7(QRM)
1090     KFNQ       S9+5      S9
1150     MIX           S9         S9
1180     KLAY         S9         S7 1/2
1250     KKDZ        S5          S7
1300     KKOL        S9+2      S8(QRM)
1360     MIX           S9          S9
1380     KRKO        S4          S1-2(Slop)

The rest of the Puget Sound stations are more jumbled during the day now
off the Eastern Beverage.
  KKDZ is stronger than they used to be. That was the only station noted
with a improvement as Dennis had mentioned. They must have done
something.

It was odd tuning by 900 and not hearing CKMO Victoria and 1260 KCYX
McMinnville. 900 Wenatchee is very weak off the Eastern Beverage as well
as 1260 KTRP Weiser ID.

But the Eastern Beverage seems much more directional now and it even
seems like it has more gain. Termnating the end may have lost a bit of
the gain on some frequencies.  I noted SASK CFSL 1190 tearing up KEX
most nights now, but KEX has never had the signal they used to have once
they co-located KPOJ 620 there.  KPOJ was 5/5 KW, but using the short
1190 towers, the signal was poor. That is why I presume they boosted to
25/10. I am glad KEX did drop the IBOC.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin