Re: [IRCA] latest solar cycle prediction

Re: [IRCA] latest solar cycle prediction

For what it's worth, when the solar cycle 24 forecasts began coming out back in 2008, I forecasted that it would be the smallest solar cycle in 100 years. At the time almost all of the other forecasts were for a large cycle. You can see my discussions at http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o4.htm .

A major problem when making solar cycle forecasts is that there is no agreed upon scientific standard as to what constitutes the beginning or ending of a particular solar cycle. Therefore we don't know until we look in the past.

Here are my solar cycle 24 forecasts. The fact that I produced two forecast updates means that I don't know what I'm talking about either.

November 02, 2010, a smoothed sunspot number (SSN) peak of 95 in December 2013.

March 30, 2009 a smoothed sunspot number (SSN) peak of 100 in July 2013.

February 1, 2008 a smoothed sunspot number (SSN) peak of 105 in October 2012.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Retired Meteorologist & Solar Physicist
Lakeland, FL, USA
thomasfgiella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NZ4O MF/HF/6M (600-6 Meters) Radiowave Propagation Forecast: http://www.solarcycle24.org NZ4O Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive: http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o1.htm NZ4O Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Dashboard: http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o2.htm NZ4O Solar Cycle 24 Forecast Discussion & Archive: http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o4.htm NZ4O 160 Meter (MF) Radio Propagation Theory Notes: http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o5.htm NZ4O Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Raw Forecast Data Links: http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o6.htm

Message: 2