[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, September 27-October 3, 2011

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, September 27-October 3, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

** CUBA. 530, Sept 27 at 1114 I am hearing typical Enciclopedia EZL music, confirmed by 7:15 timecheck in Spanish at 1115, so this 10 kW CMBQ transmitter in Habana holds up this late --- well, of course, by gaisma.com I see that LSR there today is 1120 UT, while here in Enid it is 1223. BTW, have not heard the 1 kHz het from TN beacon LYQ 529 for many months; thanks, Dave (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Pre-sunrise MW DX Sept 27: I woke up an hour too early.

620, Sept 27 at 1116 UT, Radio 6-20, music offer, 8-digit phone starting with 5-, i.e. DF, loops N/S, adstring mixed with government PSAs, addresses in DF. 1118 ``Está Vd. en Por el Campo`` program, ``desde la Ciudad de México``. Cantú:
620 XENK Radio 6.20 México, DF 50,000 5,000
Totally overriding Mickey Mouse and anything else on 620
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise DX Sept 28, UT; as the terminator moves relentlessly eastward as of 1200 UT, I am getting more Coahuilans than in previous weeks:

550, Sept 28 at 1214 UT, timecheck for 6:14 and mentions Sinaloa, which is on MDT; trouble is, no stations in that state on 550. The others in UT -6 are Nayarit and Chihuahua, so probably usual XEPL in Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua, altho there is also XETNC in Nayarit which is further but maybe more likely to mention Sinaloa, up the coast

800, Sept 28 at 1207 UT, again hearing extremely distorted talk audio, language unknown, in null of KQCV OKC; at the same time I am getting weak non-distorted Spanish, presumably XEROK, so must be something else, probably further east. In view of all the Coahuilans I am getting at this time, prime suspect is, per Cantú:
800 XEZR La Traviesa Zaragoza, Coah. 2,000 2,000
Would those closer to it please check its modulation. (I shall be astounded by any replies, as no one has replied to any of my other queries about Mexicans, unIDs.)

830, Sept 28 at 1205 UT, mentions colonias (neighborhoods) de Torreón, ``el noticiero de Radio Zócalo``, ``estado de Coahuila``. The only Coahuilan on 830 is per Cantú:
830 XEIK La Norteñita Piedras Negras, Coah. 5,000 D
quite a distance from Torreón, up on la frontera; would it be relaying a Torreón station? Searching Cantú site on Zocalo gets zero hits! But Google search on Radio Zócalo goes right to a group in Piedras Negras y Ciudad Acuña, including this Norteñita. R. Zócalo is the newscast at 06-14 and 18 hours local on it and five other stations.
http://www.zocalo.com.mx/radio/radio.html
No doubt dealing with events in the whole state if not beyond.

880, Sept 28 at 1203 UT, amid QRM, mentions ``ayuntamiento de Gómez Palacio``, therefore from adjacent city:
880 XETC 880 AM Torreón, Coah. 10,000 1,000

900, Sept 28 at 1221 UT, ``Radio Vida`` ID, gobierno del estado [¿cuál?] PSA, adstring mentioning colonias, various addresses on carreteras away from town, but which? Only Mexican likely to propagate at this hour is the often heard:
900 XEDT La Reina Cd. Cuauhtemoc, Chih. 5,000 1,500
Once again I am not hearing the WRTH- and Cantú-listed name La Reina.

940, Sept 28 at 1200 UT, government PSA for CNDH = Comisión Nacional de Derechos Humanos, then mentions Saltillo, Estado de Coahuila; 1202 ID as XEYJ, Estéreo, ``la nueva era``, full ID by OM, and a YL interjects the English word ``Stereo``. (This Y is pronounced ``ye``, one of three ambiguous letters in Spanish, V-W-Y). So:
940 XEYJ La YJ Mexicana Mélchor Múzquiz, Coah. 15,000 ? [night power unknown to Cantú]
(I always have an audible het on 940 around sunrise and later. XEQ in the DF is well-known to be off-frequency, but too late for it. A US station, spur, another Mexican, a birdie, or from local appliance?)

1010, Sept 28 at 1159 UT, talking about Partido Verde en Chiapas, full ID but only bits caught, such as ``La Poderosa``, ``5 mil watts``. There is no Chiapan on 1010, and Cantú shows the only one with that slogan is:
1010 XEVK La Poderosa Torreón, Coah. 5,000 1,000

1040, Sept 28 at 1230 UT, full ID including Radio Vista, Guaymas, Once, FM station too. Yet another slogan for this one heard before?
1040 XEGYS La Primera + FM 90.1 Guaymas, Son. 5,000 250
I think it was ``Vista`` instead of Vida or Viva or Villa, but not positive.

Regarding my Sept 23 log on 600 of an unlisted ``XELN``, I now notice that Cantú has this call on 830, FWIW:
830 XELN La Caliente + FM 95.3 Linares, N.L. 3,000 250
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 720, Sept 29 at 0528, full ID for Radio Coahuila, Saltillo at this odd time, making SAH with WGN about the same as the one KSAH makes, also in Spanish from San Antonio, Tejas. Cantú shows only 250 watts at night: Maybe Radio Coahuila is the group name, or a generic:
720 XEDE La Kaliente Saltillo, Coah. 8,000 250

Sunrise MWDX Sept 29, UT:

580, Sept 29 at 1154 UT, lots of birthday greetings, including to someone in Múzquiz (Coahuila), and several in Tejas, 1157 ``La Rancherita del Aire``:
580 XEMU La Rancherita del Aire Piedras Negras, Coah. 5,000 2,500

610, Sept 29 at 1157 UT, ``visítenos en Nueva Rosita``, and two-letter call interjected. N.R. is a nearby city to:
610 XEBX La Primera Sabinas, Coah. 5,000 500

610, Sept 29 at 1158 UT, ``G-S`` truncated ID had overtaken frequency:
610 XEGS La Ley Guasave, Sin. 1,000 500

650, Sept 29 at 1209 UT, `Panorama Agropecuario` farmshow, into weather segment discussing hurricane threat. Had just heard same on XEGS 610 and this time confirmed they are //, stronger on 650 with hum, i.e.:
650 XETNT Radio 65 + FM 106.5 Los Mochis, Sin. 5,000 1,000

760, Sept 29 at 1211 UT, choral NA ending way late, 1212 Radio Geny ID, ``viva México``:
760 XENY Radio Geny Nogales, Son. 5,000 100

870, Sept 29 at 1213 UT, mañanitas from XETAR had SAH and CCI from an SS in the USA: q.v.
870 XETAR La Voz de la Sierra Tarahumara Guachochi, Chih. 10,000 D

1050, Sept 29 at 1217 UT, ``Radiorama, Mil Cincuenta AM`` (1050 could be pronounced both this way and Diez Cincuenta, strangely enough). Cantú has no such name on 1050, but it`s a group. Googling leads right to XED Mexicali which Cantú has as:
1050 XED W Radio Mexicali, B.C. 10,000 D
I thought W Radio and Radiorama were competitors; did they sell XED?
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Oct 2, UT:

610, Oct 2 at 1218 UT, ``Grupo Chávez, Radio K``, and ``una experiencia en el cielo``, Sunday-morning religious show. Seemed // 650, but not definite with two receivers. If so, that would be XEGS Guaymas, Sinaloa once again. Googling confirms there is a group by that name in Sinaloa, including La GS on 610, and La Ley on 650, but the `Radio K` would have been ``Radiocast``:
http://es-es.facebook.com/pages/Chavez-RadioCast/132376413473133

770, Oct 2 at 1214 UT, singing ID ending in ``Digital``. I thought maybe it was one of those ``Éxtasis Digital`` outlets, but none listed on 770 in Cantú.

1030, Oct 2 at 1228 UT, ad for a giveaway, 1229 ``Grupo Jota`` and romantic music. I can`t find any Mexican radio group by that name on 1030 or anywhere else; maybe was name of musical group (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Oct 3; LSR here now 1228 UT:

710, Oct 3 at 1201 UT, ``Grupo B-M Radio``, noticias W&M alternating, several mentions of ``aquí en Ciudad Cuauhtémoc:
710 XEDP La Ranchera Cd. Cuauhtemoc, Chih. 7,000 100
See http://www.gbmradio.com/byfabian/

720, Oct 3 at 1200 UT, ID mentioning Saltillo, Coahuila. I have yet to hear the listed slogan or call letters in Cantú:
720 XEDE La Kaliente Saltillo, Coah. 8,000 250

770, Oct 3 at 1230, mentions ``Cuarenta Principales``. The only 770 Top-40 in Cantú is:
770 XEREV Los 40 Principales + FM 104.3 Los Mochis, Sin. 5,000 100
And then at 1231 does mention Los Mochis and a 5-letter XH- FM call, (listed XHREV), 6:31 timecheck.

800, Oct 3 at 1205 UT, ad for Zaragoza, Coahuila, OK modulation, so
800 XEZR La Traviesa Zaragoza, Coah. 2,000 2,000
With KQCV OKC (not yet daytime) nulled as best I could, also audible the station with extremely distorted modulation, previously suspected to be XEZR, but soon gone. Next suspect for this further east is:
800 XEDD La Tremenda Montemorelos, N.L. 10,000 2,500
XEROK CiJz was not being heard at this time!

900, Oct 3 at 1208 UT, timecheck for 6:08, Radio Vida [? not Reina], introducing a program but first, a huge local adstring, including several businesses on ``Carretera a Álvaro Obregón``, already traced to Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, one of them with website http://www.maquinariaw.com which is Wiebe, seller of heavy industrial and agricultural machinery, mostly imported from USA:
900 XEDT La Reina Cd. Cuauhtemoc, Chih. 5,000 1,500

1410, Oct 3 at 1218 UT, conversation mentioning Secretaría de Educación Pública, so certainly a Mexican, also something about incendios (fires) in Mazatlán. It`s hard to pull Mexicans thru all the US QRM on upper regional channels. As I feared, there is no Mazatlán station here in perhaps national newscast, altho there is one in Los Mochis:
1410 XECF La Mexicana + 93.3 FM Los Mochis, Sin. 10,000 500
(Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 870, Sept 29 at 1213 UT, XETAR, Chihuahua, usually totally in the clear, is now getting CCI from another Spanish station, generally separable by rotating DX-398, and obviously American with PSAs about United Way and IRS with those names pronounced in English, then ``8-70 AM, Radio Variedades`` ID.

Surely it`s KFJZ Fort Worth. 2011 NRC AM Log does not have this slogan and shows it as SS:RELigious, but certainly not now, plugging their variety of music. There are two other little US stations on 870 in CO and MO, neither listed as Spanish at all (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 28 at 1219, English with URL http://jamesmacdonald.com for religious info, then amateur YL singing hymn in Navajo about Jesus Christ, banjo accompaniment. So KHAC AZ/NM. Website leads to ``Walk in the Word``, and in the extensive affiliate list is KHAC 880, supposedly at 8 am M-F.

I am so sad to hear native Americans being plied with the white man`s religion, and even buying into it. Unfortunately, secular KTNN 660 must have a very effective null toward New York before sunrise, unheard. Its official sunrise in Sept is 1300 UT, which even now is about 40 minutes after SR here, but end of month offers best chance at propagation; in Oct it won`t be until 1315 UT. Sunrise niceties don`t prevent KHAC from being heard (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Does KNX break format? UNIDENTIFIED. 1070, Sunday Oct 2 at 1237 UT, I am hearing an Alleluiah [pick your spelling] song from E/W in null of KLIO Wichita, and with the fast SAH caused by KLIO being off-frequency. KNX Los Ángeles is the usual station heard this way at night and sunrise, but aren`t they all-news?? To make it more confusing, at the moment, KLIO is talking, but it`s soon on to country gospel music at 1240 (rather than the usual True Oldies format!). 1240 still choral religious music from the other. KNX program schedule does not admit to any such deviation,
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2010/09/22/knx-1070-on-air-schedule/
but if it ever does go gospel, before 6 am Sunday would be the time to do the least damage. Can anyone confirm? There is hardly anything westward from here except KNX, but I see that KBCL, 250-watt daytimer in Bossier City [Shreveport] LA is `Praise 1070`, so maybe that was it, still propagating. However, there was no sign of any news-talk station, and KNX should have been in there. IBOC from 1080 KRLD abuzz but that nulls about the same direxion as from the 1070 station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn: -- The only "religion" I've ever heard on KNX in 30+ years of listening is the weekly Mormon Tabernacle Choir 'cast originating (still?) at KSL, and that always started no later than 6AM PLT on Sunday mornings. Very 73z -- GREG HARDISON, CA, dxldyg via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Hi Glenn, Yes. If you want news from KNX between 1230 and 1300 UT (during DST), you're out of luck. During that half-hour they carry the weekly broadcast of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (Rick Lewis, WA, IRCA via DXLD)

** U S A. 1110, Sept 29 at 1218 UT, rather startled to hear Qur`an being sung by a tenor, then interrupted by some English words, presumably translation; 1221 onto unsung talk in Arabic(?). Could not get a null on it, and could not separate it from KFAB. Surely it is one of the Texans, either the newish KVTT Mineral Wells (The Metroplex), which I thought was Christian, and tho 50 kW days has a big null toward us; OR KTEK Alvin (Houston), a 2.5 kW daytimer listed as BizRadio (in English) by NRC AM Log. I`ll assume the latter, with a pattern aimed right at us (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190, Oct 3 at 1226 UT, blues music from NW/SE. No doubt KVCU, the student station at Boulder CO, a rarity. Another AM station which dares to play music is 1130 KWKH Shreveport LA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1310, Oct 3 at 1222 UT, ``News-talk 13-10, KZRG`` IDs, items about St Louis & St Charles, but this is really Joplin MO, the station which got kudos for tornado coverage (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1460, Sept 28 at 0536, YL with long list of contest rules on ``1460 KXNO`` mentioned several times, Clear Channel. Sounds like a parody, really. Is 5 kW from Des Moines IA, listed as a Fox Sports affiliate (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)