[IRCA] Oregon Beach Ultralight DU's for 8-16

[IRCA] Oregon Beach Ultralight DU's for 8-16

Hello All,

The final early morning DXing session at the 400' high cliff top view
point on Oregon's NW ocean coast featured excellent Longwave conditions
to Alaska, but only the "big gun" South Pacific stations managed to
show up on medium wave, and they really didn't sound very big. Compared
to yesterday's outstanding opening to Australia and New Zealand, this
morning's South Pacific propagation sounded pretty awful.

567-2YA, 594-3WV, 603-Waatea, 639-Radio Fiji One, 657-Southern Star,
675-3YA, 684-NZ Rhema, 738-Tahiti, 774-3LO, 891-5AN, 1017-A3Z  and
1116-4BC all managed fair audio at times, but certainly nothing like
yesterday's booming signals. The weaker DU co-channels of these
stations were all missing in action, and I had the strong suspicion
that if I had been DXing around sea level, none of these DU "big guns"
would have shown up on my PL-380 Ultralight, either. Maybe that's one
of the drawbacks of experiencing awesome DU propagation at a place like
the "Rockwork" ocean viewpoint high on a surfside cliff-- you get
spoiled pretty quickly! DX that would thrill you at home becomes
second-rate high on the cliff, as you are reminded that even these
oceanside cliffs go through their own form of DU propagation skids at
times.

In general the 3-day trip was thrilling, however, producing
breakthrough Ultralight DX loggings on both Longwave and AM. The
concept of combining the highly portable, high-gain FSL's with salt
water propagation and cliff-top elevation seems to have worked wonders,
and should make Ultralight radio transoceanic DXing even more exciting
and competitive in the future. Have fun, guys!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (back in Puyallup, WA)

Fortunately my wife (who