Re: [IRCA] Oregon Beach Ultralight DU's for 8-15

Re: [IRCA] Oregon Beach Ultralight DU's for 8-15

Gary,

Some great DX there!! Yes, the Oregon Coast has sure netted me a lot of
DX through the past 40+ years. Your location there is fantastic. That
Wayside area is also good for FM DX. I remember parking there one
afternoon back in the 80s and heard Eureka CA at 400 miles!
 Maybe I can help a bit with some of your unids.

>>531 kHz seemed to have a new-format Australian talk/ interview station
mixing with the 5 kw NZ Samoan-language station this morning (no sign of
the usually dominant, ID-averse classic rock station),<<

The two Aussies I get on 531 is 2PM and 4KZ. 4KZ may be your talker. 6DL
has been known to pop in. You should look for them too.   I have never
heard 3 Double G, as they null the NE.

 >>and the 585 kHz mystery classic rock DU station heard last summer was
back with the same type of music and occasional strong level (indicating
probable Australian origin, since it was usually missing in action
during Kiwi-slanted propagation).<<

2WEB Bourke has been common in the past on 585. They get out well. They
always have been some sort of Rock when I have heard them in the past
too. Very likely.

 >>The Australian "big guns" finally had their strength restored for the
first time this DXpedition, but the Kiwis were also vibrant, leading to
some interesting frequency snarls. The experience of DXing on a 400'
high cliff above the ocean surf was unforgettable, and the Ultralight +
FSL antenna combo provided all the DU-DXing excitement that anyone could
possibly want.<<

Yes, at that QTH you would hear a lot of jewels. A great location and
also nulls the East as you have the hills behind you.

Great going Gary!

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin