[IRCA] CKNX-920 Wingham ON applies for nested FM relay

[IRCA] CKNX-920 Wingham ON applies for nested FM relay

CKNX-920 Wingham ON has applied for a FM relay on 104.3 MHz, 3 kW, 69 meters.
The AM transmitter would remain in operation as at present.

<http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-354.htm>

1.      Wingham, Ontario
Application 2010-1622-0
Application by Blackburn Radio Inc. to amend the broadcasting licence of the English-
language AM radio programming undertaking CKNX Wingham.
The licensee proposes to add an FM transmitter at Wingham to broadcast the programming of CKNX.
The new transmitter would operate on frequency 104.3 MHz (channel 282A) with an effective
radiated power of 3,000 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna
above average terrain of 69 metres).
The licensee indicates that the addition of an FM transmitter would improve service to
listeners of CKNX, and provide fill-in coverage at night and in areas that are most
affected by interference in the CKNX current licensed area.

>From the application itself, of interest in light of recent discussion as to if the
station powers down at night:

Coverage limitations

We believe strongly in the importance of our AM radio station. Not a single day passes
without our thoughts on how we can offer even more service to residents. As a station
that reduces power significantly in the evening, AM920 has always had trouble reaching
its central audience after dark and before the sun rises.  Attached is a contour map
that shows our daytime interference free contours and the night-time contours.
As can be seen there is a significant reduction in our service area.  We have also
attached a map that shows our BBM Central area, provided to us by BBM.  It is clear
that there are significant parts of the broadcast day where our signal does not
reach many in our service area.  With less power at pre-dawn (at late as 8am in
winter) and at dusk (as early as 4:30pm in winter,)before 8am and after 4pm being
key drive times we can’t reach many of listeners with emergency broadcast information,
road closures, bus cancelations, severe weather etc.. We are simply not reaching those
in the rural areas and outlaying communities that rely on AM920.

73,

Deane McIntyre VE6BPO