[IRCA] Fw: Grundig Satellite 750 comments

[IRCA] Fw: Grundig Satellite 750 comments

I know Raph on the ULR list and wasn't sure if he was on the IRCA--he's not so I've obtained his permission to forward his comments on the SAT 750. Hopefully they will be useful to Jim, and anyone else interested in the SAT 750.
73,
Steve

From Raph Pollock:

I am not technically adept and do not have any electronic measuring measuring equipment or facility. However, I would be happy to forward my opinion about the SATELLIT 750, which I really enjoy using.

Physical size and weight: The receiver is very portable and has two rack mount type vertical handles and a fold-down horizontal handle. It is easy to move from one location to another. It is a miser on batteries (4 D cells)--these have lasted me for > four months per battery set with one-two hours of listening four to five times per week.

Layout and controls: Convenient for the MW DXer. I have not used for SWLing. There have been complaints about the fragility of the whip antenna. I don't know because I have never attempted to extend it. The main tuning knob has a nice solid feel; can be set for fast or slow rotation. I am interested in loop antennas for MW DXing, and for these purposes it is a great receiver. It is easily as sensitive as my Sony 2010 and also my Eton E1. The quality of the sound is appreciably more appealing to me than the Sony. Although the 750 does not have synch detection it does have SSB so ECSS is possible. I like it better than the E1 because it has a much quieter noise floor. For an antenna experimenter it is great. It has a good 7.5 or 8 inch rotatable ferrite rod antenna with a jack to directly couple another antenna to the ferrite rod as well as jacks for high impedance and low impedance antennas. I use a homebrew ferrite rod antenna that I place immediately alongside the rotatable ferrite rod antenna of the 750--inductively coupled. The ferrite is 19" 125 mu (Stormwise) with a tightly wrapped 660/46 Litz center-placed pick up coil (to see in action please go to You Tube and search under "ferrite rod antenna"). Slight detuning of the outboard antenna works better than a synch detector to both narrow the band width, improve sound quality, and eliminate or at least attenuate interference. The other really strong plus about this radio is the presence of a genuine RF gain control. I use this with the volume control as a means of decreasing interference without loss of intelligibility by turning down the RF gain and compensating for the loss of volume by turning up the volume control. So for the MW DXer the rotatable ferrite rod, with a jack to attach another antenna like a long wire, for example, the low noise floor, the presence of a high and low impedance antenna jacks, the RF gain control, and the accessible positon of the ferrite rod such that inductively coupling home brew antennas...these are all major pluses. I use it in strong preference to my 2010 or E1--ultimately, I can hear more and better MW DX.

I bought mine for $250 at Fry's last summer and also bought the $30 three year warranty so that if I had problems I could get a replacement unit with (I hope) minimal hassles. So far, so good. Hope this is useful information, and would be happy to address any additional questions or concerns.

Raph Pollock
rpollock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx