[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, January 27-February 4, 2011

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, January 27-February 4, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

** CUBA. 1620 kHz, Feb 2 at 0658 UT, news in Spanish dominating the frequency which is unusual vs Waco/Omaha; 0700 timesignal and ``Rebelde en La Habana, emisora de la Revolución``. Is // and synchronized with 5025; 0702 fades a bit audiblizing slight echo from second // transmitter on 1620 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, KGWA Enid, altho the original station of the AM-FM combo, is now the poor stepchild no one really cares about: Jan 31 at 0650 UT, open carrier; came to life for newcast at 0703 check, but back to dead air at 0707. So the automation can handle the news, but not whatever else was supposed to be on.

I was checking because the usual mixing product with KCRC on 3310 was not being heard, and I suspected one of them was off the air --- but KCRC 1390 was nominal, and lack of modulation on 960 carrier should not have affected the spur (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1000, KTOK, OKC, Jan 31 at 2139-2149 UT, I have never enjoyed the Sean Hannity Show so much! Because KTOK was broadcasting dead air for at least ten minutes while I dozed. This was not in the middle of the night but the middle of the day. Rejoined abruptly at 2149 without so much as ``Due to technical difficulties, our regular programming has been interrupted, but we now rejoin it in progress``. No station makes such courtesy announcements any more, for it would admit that someone is finally paying attention to their own output! Way to go, Clear Channel (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Yes, the two Tulsa market stations on 1270 and 1570 are now under new ownership and converted to Spanish. Feb 4 at 1938 UT I hear music on 1570, reminding me to check the stronger signal on 1270 too. Wait a minute! Sounds like the same music. I carry a portable radio in the car so I can try //, and yes indeed, the two are simulcasting, but ID at 1940 only as ``La Que Buena, 12-70 AM`` and hyperenthusiastic promo for LQB listeners to tune to 1270 now (instead of KXTD 1530 --- what`s on that now? Cannot pull it past KOKC 1520 in daytime.) I guess the new owner isn`t ready to program 1570 separately with Spangospel, no hurry! But this seems a bit redundant and wasteful. Will the callsigns change from KRVT on 1270 and KZLI on 1570?

BTW, the Jan 27 Tulsa World article about this consistently wrote ``KLZI`` --- so much for the impact its former ``Smart Talk`` format in English made on the writer. Still not corrected at:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=52&articleid=20110127_15_E2_DnIuDn68992&archive=yes

As I recall, KRVT underwent some kind of upgrade in the last few years. So the seller may have made a neat profit on the deal.

Now we shall have to pay attention whether the Spanish on 1270 is KRVT or KFLC Fort Worth TX; and the 1570 is KZLI or XERF Ciudad Acuña.

Meanwhile, 1120 KEOR was off the air again at 1945 UT check Feb 4 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1610, Enid NWS relay via WQCL720, Great Salt Plains State Park, once again audible on caradio in western Enid, but mixed with the roaring noise I had been hearing by itself, Jan 31 around 2030 UT. Plus a slow pulsing, apparently SAH between two different transmitters (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 850, KOA Denver CO, Jan 29 at 1336 UT supposedly ``Colorado`s Morning News`` abruptly into 4-minute talk by Wisconsin`s new anti-government US Senator Ron Johnson. Apparently this week`s Republican radio address speaker; at end mentions Pres. Obama will be on sometime later, but never heard him before hourtop. 1343 promo for Rush: obviously KOA has a poor sense of what`s journalism and what`s far-right-wing-nutting. Own meteorologist made a couple of appearances predicting that on Tuesday, Denver`s hi might not exceed zero F, which is unusual even for the mi-hi city.

At 1349 co-channel QRM peaked from a station with Catholish mass tonality, audible best in KOA null, along with Spanish CCI, but not sure what language the mass was in. There are too many 850 stations with a religious and/or Spanish format to make a guess, other than possibly WAIT Chicago. The EWTN affiliate list at
http://www.ewtn.com/radio/amfm.htm
does not show anything on 850 in English (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1630 kHz, Feb 2 at 0703 UT, manic music in Spanish: rather a disconnect with the lyrix being ballad-like, but the instrumentals really wild, hardly lullabye-like. Then ID, ``16-30, La Jota Mexicana``, and into a relatively slow tune. This is the new slogan for KRND Fox Farm WY, near Cheyenne. And yes, FCC AM Query confirms the call is still KRND, which used to connote ``Grande``. Should really change it to KLJM, not currently assigned to any AM, FM or TV station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1190, Jan 30 at 1433 UT, Spanish caught my ear, mostly atop jumble of multiple stations, talking about a trip to Mérida, Yucatán. Since it seems from WNW/ESE, and the hour is rather late, I don`t think it is an XE, and there are no Yucatecans on 1190. Maybe an infomercial. Lasted about 5 minutes before losing out. Several US stations on 1190 are Spanish, per NRC AM Log, in AZ, FL, GA, MS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###