  From: Guy Atkins
  Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 6:47 PM
  Subject: [IRCA] John Bryant's NRD-535D / Timewave DSP / Portable CaseReceiver Setup on Ebay

  Was I ever surprised today to see the late John Bryant's portable JRC
  NRD-535D rackmount case setup for auction on Ebay. This project of
  interconnected NRD-535D, twin Timewave DSP-9+ units, S-meter, and audio
  switching network inside of a portable rackmount case was John's primary
  DXpedition receiver before he got hooked on the Winradio SDR receivers. I
  spent many hours on Grayland DXpeditions with John, sitting across from him
  and this fine receiver and accessory setup:

  http://cgi.ebay.com/JRC-NRD-535-D-Receiver-Timewave-DSP9-anvil-case-/270677363746

  The Austin, Texas seller says he purchased the equipment at a radio auction,
  but has decided not to keep it. I contacted the seller to let him know about
  John Bryant and the background of this one-of-a-kind setup.

  The receiver has a couple of Kiwa filter modules inside, and I am almost
  certain it has *all *other Kiwa modifications for the NRD-535D, too. I
  remember that John had spoken of sending it to Craig at Kiwa Electronics for
  "full house" mods.

  The white/translucent rectangles that can be seen stuck on the receiver's
  main tuning knob are chunks of heavy duty, sticky-backed snap fastener
  material. I'm sure these can be peeled off and the remaining "goo" cleaned
  off satisfactorily. John used the fastener material to hold his "spin wheel"
  attachment for easier tuning. I don't believe this flat plate with finger
  hole (which extended beyond the tuning knob) is included with the auction.

  Guy Atkins
  Puyallup, WA