[IRCA] TP report from Kauai for 29Nov2010

[IRCA] TP report from Kauai for 29Nov2010

Well, as I expected, there indeed are signs of life for TP signals early in
the morning local.  Rather than listen after dark last night, I awoke at
05:30 local (15:30 UTC) and monitored for an hour between 15:42 and 16:48
UTC off of my lanai.  Noise was so-so, and presumably locally generated, but
there was still a fair bit to hear, especially the lower half of the band.
Facing south, I was expecting to hear some Australians, and they indeed were
there, but so were a number of Asians as well.  I was using my modified Eton
e100 receiver with Audio Technica ANC7 noise canceling headphones that were
discussed a few months back on Guy Atkin's Perseus Blog.  Here's the list of
what was heard.  Perhaps one morning I'll wander down to the beach to see
whether the noise will be less.

540:  2AP Samoa.  Good to very good reception at 16:22 tune-in.  Cookoo,
Samoan talk, and hymn.  Missed the s/on earlier.  Not surprising as they
were the last port of call before Hawaii on our trans-Pacific cruise a year
ago, and 540 remained strong for days after our departure from Samoa.
549:  CC sounding station at poor/fair reception early, then good reception
on recheck at around 16:25.  Also weaker cochannel heard at the latter
time.
558:  poor at around 16:25
603:  Poor earlier, then poor/fair later with talk by YL in unknown
language.
612:  4QR Brisbane at very good level at 15:43, but poor/fair at 16:26.
657:  North Korea at good level early.
666:  EZL music early.  Prob JOBK Osaka with JJ talk as well.  Good
reception.
765:  Lots of splatter hear, but talk underneath early.  Not sure who.
783:  very good reception early, but with deep fades.  EZL music.  CC talk.
Not sure exactly who this would be.  Faded down at the TOH, but I'm pretty
sure there were some time pips at 16:00.
792:  Good reception 4RN Brisbane early.
837:  poor early
882:  poor at 16:32
972:  oriental station at fair level with talk at 16:33.  ?HLCA
981:  fair reception but with lots of splatter late
1089:  CC at fair to good level with ad at 16:04
1098:  strong OC late, but earlier could hear fast tempo music from the
south at fair level.  Not sure who.
1170:  poor early, but fair level later with VOA Poro news in special
English with ID at 16:41 (good level)
1242:  fair to good level early ?JOLF Tokyo
1260:  JOIR Sendai at good level with piano music then talk at 16:43
1323:  poor level with weak talk (from NW) early.  Still poor/fair late.
1332:  weak talk early
1386:  poor reception early with rapid fading.
1440:  poor/occ fair heard best N/S
1494:  poor talk at 16:19
1593:  EZL music from NW at fair level at around 16:20.  ?CNR1

Not so bad, considering how awful things have been generally from the WCNA
and further east.  Tomorrow's a big day for us with travel to the north
shore of Kauai, so not sure whether I'll get to the radio dials or not.
Until next time, 73s!.......Walt Salmaniw, Poipu, Kauai, HI (an incredibly
bright Venus overhead at dawn, virtually as bright as the waning moon!)