Re: [IRCA] Re; 1130 Interference

Patrick Martin wrote:

I can believe that as most people don't have a clue why there is
interference. All they know, is they don't like it. CKWX is a very
popular News station covering the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island,
so I am sure the complaints are everywhere.

Doubtful. The reason the issues are cropping up in the Fraser Valley has to do with poor ground conductivity between the CKWX transmitter site (south of Vancouver in the Richmond/Surrey area) and the relatively distant Fraser Valley. Within most of the rest of metro Vancouver, CKWX puts a strong enough signal to overcome any incoming interference from KPWX. But out in the Fraser Valley, CKWX barely puts a 0.5 mV/m signal, which is fairly weak - and thus subject to interference from KPWX.

But if this goes on too long, I am sure CKWX will lose listeners. People
love the All News stations and depend on them at rush hour and that is
when the QRM is apparent.

They may or may not see any real-world ratings hit; it depends on how much of the ratings panel is out in the areas east of Vancouver suffering the interference.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Here on the Oregon
Coast I am far enough away from Mt. Angel to notice any power change.
They probably should have had the 6.5 KW during Critical Hours.

If they'd been protecting a US station on 1130, they'd probably have had even lower critical-hours power, since US class A and B stations (unlike Canadian stations) are protected from incoming skywave interference during critical hours.

And it's important to understand where that "6.5 kW" figure comes from. It's really 6250 watts, and there's nothing magical about it - it's simply that the FCC allows directional AM stations to run a maximum of 25% of their daytime power under STA, and 6250 watts is 25% of 25 kW. (Similarly, WWVA will be running 12.5 kW at night under STA once it completes rebuilding the first of its three downed towers later this week; that's 25% of its licensed directional 50 kW.)

In KPWX's case, the STA operation was only for a few weeks, to allow KPWX to make the ground conductivity measurements it needed to make as part of the 50 kW application process.