Re: [IRCA] Re; 1130 Interference

Patrick Martin wrote:

Why in the World did the FCC ever allow this
station to come on, is beyond me, as CKWX should be protected as they
have been on 1130 for decades. CKWX needs to really raise the roof on
this to the FCC.

Here's how this all plays out, as I understand it:

As a Canadian station, CKWX has no standing to complain directly to the FCC. They complain to Industry Canada, which takes the issue to Canada's equivalent of our State Department (the Foreign Ministry, I believe?), which takes it to the U.S. State Department, which takes it to the FCC.

The problem is, there's a treaty that regulates AM radio along the border. I'm working from memory here, so I may have some of the specifics wrong, but when the Mount Angel station was applied for, it had to make a showing that on paper, its signal would not exceed the interference levels specified in the treaty.

The current treaty was written in 1984, and it provides for only *groundwave* protection during daylight hours. In effect, the US and Canada agreed to pretend that "critical hours" skywave propagation doesn't exist.

It's rather a long, complex read, but here's the engineering exhibit from KPWX's application for a power increase:

http://bit.ly/9A6DWx

I'd direct your attention to page 2, where the respected engineering firm that did the application tells us that: "Good engineering practice was followed for all measurements. Care was taken to avoid skywave during early morning and late afternoon hours."

CKWX can certainly complain...but its complaint will be hampered by the political reality that its own government signed a treaty 26 years ago that pretty much authorized the interference it's now receiving. Even if the treaty were to be amended (not an easy or quick process), stations authorized before the adoption of the revised treaty would still be grandfathered in.

It's not pretty...but that's international diplomacy for you.