[IRCA] Japanese hets likely, plus BC SA MO > ON

[IRCA] Japanese hets likely, plus BC SA MO > ON

Not a peep out of SK 540 on the loopstick-modified Tecsun 380 early-warning system when the alarm sounded at 0615 EDT, nor at 0640 when I decided I wouldn't fall back asleep. I moved up the dial to see what else there was, and had strong music on 950. Decided to check the main rig. On the north-south and also the se/nw wires at 0650 I had slight hets on 693, 747 and 774 - all Japanese big guns. Nowhere near audio, but enough to realize cx are way up. One mopre weak het on 873 (can't remember offhand what's there), and I stick with the nw/se BOG wire, which I installed last week and find is good for the Cdn Prairies and such, I noted nothing but Windsor ON on 540. So the moderately-strong Brit accent on 690, with talk of Canada, caught be offguard. Given the JJ hets and the content on 690 - which I presume to be its overnight shortwave service - I can only suspect Vancouver. No sign of activity on 1130 or 890 from BC (though I had country on 1130 (LA maybe) and did get country later on 890 (ND likely by then as SK was getting strong).

From there...

0701 630 - CFCO ON strong, but distinct second station IDs as KJSL, and taped. That's St. Louis, and new.

BC fades on 690 replaced by French (SK) and 540 yields what I presume is a weak SK. 730 yields a CKDM (MB) ID at 0713.

At 0714 I tape brief very weak talk between country songs on 1190. Hoping for Weyburn.

Something about the Moose population in the Empire State on 790. I guess we won't be hearing Alberta...

At 0717 strong country but no ID on 1190. Various unId calls on 790 I'm checking.

Then at 0721 An "AM 1190 Community Calendar" announcement similar to when I heard Weyburn at Newfoundland the past couple years. Several references to Weyburn and back to country music, and a long-time target here has been nailed.

Signals fade and I pull the wires off the dirt road (which they cross) for the day, so no one walking by trips on them.

I'll put the east and se/nw wires out one last time this trip for SSS and then head back to the city later this evening.

Saul Chernos
Burnt River ON